Sins of a Solar Empire

To discuss any and all games, but not however to advertise games.
Dread Pirate Roberts
Quiet One

Sins of a Solar Empire

Post by Dread Pirate Roberts »

Edit by Baalz: No links please.

Does anyone else play this game? It is hands down the most epic game I've ever played! When I play Space Merchant Realms, and I have a successful op, regardless of how long it took, I feel like I accomplished something. My time never feels wasted, that's why I say Space Merchant Realms is a very rewarding game. Sins of a Solar Empire is the ONLY game that is more rewarding that SMR to me. The best word to describe Sins, is freaking epic. It's an RTS game, but the scale of it just makes it epic. When you have a fleet battle of 200 ships vs 200 ships, it is nothing short of epic. You can search youtube.com for Sins of a Solar Empire battles and see just how freakin' epic they are. Epic truly is the best word to describe some of the battles. Sometimes they are so beautiful, amazing, and huge you just want to sit back and watch them, and forget to micro your units :)

Many websites (i.e. IGN) gave it game of the year 2008. If I ran a game rating web site, I would give Sins of a Solar Empire, game of the millennium, it is that good. It is my opinion that Sins of a Solar empire is the best PC game ever made to date! The game has had some commercial success as well, selling over 500,000 copies. The ONLY problem with SoaSE is, for having sold so many copies, less than 1% play multiplayer :( And multi-player is where SoaSE shines. IMO single player is so boring and a waste of time. You may get a few epic battles, but I don't find it fun because you KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt you are going to win. Knowing the out come of the game before you start is not fun. The hardest setting for a computer, Insane Aggressor (the way the difficulty of the AI is set is, Skill Level Behavior. i.e. Hard Economist, Easy Researcher, Easy Aggressor, etc.) poses little difficulty, and after a couple games can be mastered. That is why once one learns the basics you have to come online using Ironclad Online (ICO). It's like their equivalent to Battle.net. I'll admit that ICO is not perfect, there are some bugs, but they are pretty minor. Trust me its worth dealing with a few minor bugs to play this amazing game with other players. Until I played SoaSE online, SMR was the ONLY game to ever give me an adrenaline rush. Now SMR and SoaSE both have.

I can only imagine fans of Space Merchant Realms, will be very big fans of Sins of a Solar Empire. You can't help but love the sci-fi inter-stellar setting. If anyone has this, or is interested in getting it, we should play together. Due to the amazing scale of SoaSE, it is similar to SMR in the aspect it does have a pretty steep learning curve. I am sort of a noob, but I am pretty damn good for being a noob. In about 75% of games that I play online, someone accuses me of being a smurf (Smurf: A pro player that makes a new account with new stats, and pretends to be a new player. They do this so they are considered noob when picking teams, there for creating unbalanced teams in their favor. Smurfing is an incredibly lame strategy!), even though I am not, I am just new but good. I am not on the level of the top tier players, but I can keep up with the 2nd tier players, and crush any of the players below that level. If anyone is interested in getting SoaSE, I will be willing to train them in the ways of inter-stellar ownage. The only stipulation to my training is that you can NOT play single player! If I am going to take my time and effort to train you and make you good, you must become part of the online community.

Like I said earlier the only down side to Sins is the small number of players online. It is kinda cool that most people know each other in that community, but its not worth it, i Really wish the online community was 100 times bigger! Don't get me wrong, at most times through out the day you can find a good 4v4 of 5v5 pug game going on. A big game like that starts every 30 min or so. There are usually like 2 - 3 games open to join at any given time. Come 3:00-6:00AM EST games tend to be a little scarce, but I have joined games even at this time! What happens though, is people sign on to ICO for the first, and see only 100-150 players online (It tells you total online players at any give time near top of screen), and only 2-3 game going and they get discouraged at the "small" community and log off never to sign on again. I don't get the logic, seeing as you can only play one game at a time, and I can assure you that one of those 2 games will be amazing and epic. But its a vicious circle of small community.

One LAST thing. If you do get it, you HAVE to get the micro-expansion Entrenchment! It's only $9.99 USD, and it improves game play by 1000. It gives you amazing defensive structures like StarBases which really help defend your crap when going on the offensive, and it gives you the option to quick start which shaves off 30 min or so from the beginning of the game, which is incredibly dull and the same every game. In the original game the first 30 min of every game is the same, and very boring and slow. In the expansions you can bypass this slow dull part of the game by selecting quick start. Also the entire online community plays Entrenchment. If you only have vanilla sins (original game no xpac) you won't be able to join any of the good online games. Don't get me wrong you can find a game on vanilla sins, but it's going to be a 2v2 or something. All the good 4v4 and 5v5 ares on entrenchment. So just spend the extra $9.99 on the expansion, I promise it is worth it. The game is cheap anyway, for the game and xpac it is $29.99 USD. So come, enjoy this RTS of EPIC PROPORTIONS with me!
If you can't beat em, ban em!
Astax
SMR Coder

Re: Sins of a Solar Empire

Post by Astax »

I played this game up until latest release. I'm entirely opposed to steam. But I used to be pretty good.
Incognito
Quiet One

Re: Sins of a Solar Empire

Post by Incognito »

SIns of a solar empire: rebellion is amazing. Nothing beats wiping out fleets with a Titan.
I+N+C+O+G+N+I+T+O=Not you

I took a calculated risk. Unfortunately, I am bad at math.