hellgate:LONDON

To discuss any and all games, but not however to advertise games.
buttsack
Quiet One

hellgate:LONDON

Post by buttsack »

anyone heard anything about this game? supposed to be shipped out halloween.. im currently playin the alpha version (as a tester) and i must say its a pretty cool game =)
Green Skulls, Crimson and Clover, Army of Cuda, Suckas, Armory, Armory v2, Green Skulls, Lords of the Pings, Green Skulls, Ingenious!
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

it smells like diablo 2
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
buttsack
Quiet One

Post by buttsack »

Well beta is coming out soon... I've talked to a lot of people regarding this game.. seems a lot of them are finally kicking the bad habit that is World of Warcraft and they will be starting to play Hellgate:London (which is free to play online!!). The reasoning behind this, is that instead of relying on a group of 5 or more to help complete your goal, as in WoW, you can play HG:L solo and tear through giant mobs and it is possible to complete your goals on your own... something WoW did not offer past level 70. And even if you like working in groups, you still can in HG:L.

The thing about HG:L that will be by and far better then WoW is the fact that it doesn't take 30 seconds to kill 1 monster... instead each area is instanced, with randomly generated mobs, randomly generated quests, and randomly generated paths, and even as a solo player you can blast through some of these levels on your own, in a matter of minutes.. ala Diablo II. AKA, HG:L is WAY WAY WAY 100x more action packed then WoW.

If you were a big fan of Diablo II like I was, and you are also getting bored with WoW, this is a game for you. Action packed, free to play, MMO-style, with FPS attributes trickled into the game (especially for Marksmen), as well as a bunch of other cool stuff.

This game is gonna be huge.
Green Skulls, Crimson and Clover, Army of Cuda, Suckas, Armory, Armory v2, Green Skulls, Lords of the Pings, Green Skulls, Ingenious!
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

but will the 14 year olds who populate the Worlds of Warcraft like it???...

and how does the game make its monies??
Last edited by Purify on Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buttsack
Quiet One

Post by buttsack »

Purify wrote:but will the 14 year olds who populate the Worlds of Warcraft like it???...

and how does the game make its monies??
Hehe, I bet there will be plenty of 14 year olds playin this game too.

Well, as for FSS making money, the game itself is $50. There is an option $10/month subscription service for "extra stuff", like small patches that are "expansions" that they release throughout time. If you pay the $10/month, you get all these small expansions, more storage space, hardcore mode, and there is probably more stuff that I'm forgetting.

Eiether way, I'll be part of the subscription service, but it is still FREE to play online, level up as high as you can go, find uber items, quest with or without subscribers, and just play the game.
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

To me, economically anyways that seems like a system that creates a maximum number of players.... This is because you get boatloads of free players, and only a certain % of those will ever become subscribers... The free players begin to create stress on the servers but the money gained from the subscribers is not enough to upgrade the server.... and thus you hit a critical mass... to the consumer though it sounds like a good plan.... but this setup severely limits how the game can grow

Anywho, it will be interesting to see how it fairs.....
buttsack
Quiet One

Post by buttsack »

Purify wrote:To me, economically anyways that seems like a system that creates a maximum number of players.... This is because you get boatloads of free players, and only a certain % of those will ever become subscribers... The free players begin to create stress on the servers but the money gained from the subscribers is not enough to upgrade the server.... and thus you hit a critical mass... to the consumer though it sounds like a good plan.... but this setup severely limits how the game can grow

Anywho, it will be interesting to see how it fairs.....
It definately will be interesting, as the non-subscribers may be considered "leechers" or "parasites" to some. Although a lot of people may plan on not subscribing, I suspect a fair amount of people will subscribe (especially people who are older and more able to fund a $10/month habit). For the most part, I suspect that the parasites will be stubborn people who hate pay-to-play games, or the young'ns who cannot afford it themselves, and mum and dad won't pay it for them.

It is my hope that enough people subscribe to continue great development of the game, like the "expansion patches". That in itself is a fair reason to subscribe to the game. It means, more content beyond what you got in the box. More random quests will be added, IIRC uber-elite items will be added, and another thing I remembered for subscribers is that they have access to a SHARED inventory locker. What this means is, rather then just having a locker for storage on 1 guy, and needing mules and friends to transfer items, you can place items in your SHARED locker which is shared by every single character on your account. If your blademaster finds a good gun for your marksmen, all you need to do is drop it in the shared locker, log in as the marksmen, access the shared locker, and voila. No Need For Mules. That's BIG in my book.
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

boo you shouldnt have to pay to play anything!
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

ya, im one of those anti paying to play people....but those are some pretty good reasons to pay...if i get bored and check out the game, and enjoy it when i play for free, maybe i'll become a subscriber....
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

I think i read somewhere that instead of 3 characters which you get with the free game..... you'll get 12 if you subscribe...

Is there single player mode when you buy the 50 dollar game???.... cause if so.... in the shot-run it should be pretty sweet.... but again... don't think it could compete with WoW