Guidelines on using the bugtracker

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Guidelines on using the bugtracker

Post by Infinity »

I'm sure the bugtracker can be even more useful than we've discovered so far but to use at least a part of it's functionality please always do following::

1. if an issue hasn't been resolved, assign it back to Page with a note on what's not yet working. Makes easier for Page to see what he needs to do. Don't take this as giving out orders to our dear coder, it's just that we use the built-in functions of the bugtracker to communicate about what's being worked on.

2. Issues flagged with "needs testing" or "feedback" demand testing, but you've figured that out by now. Newly added features, not tested for the first time are usually flagged with "needs testing", while they get "feedback" if they were already tested and new problems have been found and worked on by Page.

3. If you find an issue to be fixed and completely working without any bugs, close it on the bugtracker (don't say "resolved", just make a note "works" or something like that, and close it, that is change status to "closed").

4. If you find a new bug, make a new report about it. Make sure that the name of the new issue is concise so we can effectively use search when testing (I like to test all bugs connected to one thing in the game at the same time, eg. Planets and all about them). If you're getting a Fatal Error on a white screen, flag the bug as "crash" or "block" (I'm not particularly sure which of those would be better, but both imply the severity of the problem very well).

Question for Page - apart from Fatal Errors, which else you want us to paste, I know from current experience with testing our game to recognize which are important, but perhaps we can go nitpicking and report undefined variables, indexes and such too?
Use The Force(s)!
Page
SMR Coder

Re: Guidelines on using the bugtracker

Post by Page »

Flag Fatal Errors as crash, block is used for things which will delay the release as they have to be in before it can be launched (for example I have marked port/planet combat as blocking because they need to be rewritten before 1.6 can go live).

Also I have added some extra categories: Alliances, Combat, Planets, Ports/Trading
I can add more if necessary.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Bump, Blade read this ;)
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Bah humbugs!
The truth is there, just don't look blindly