Restocking / Tiers of Goods

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: Restocking / Tiers of Goods

Post by Freon22 »

The last few games of smr 1.0 almost everyone was going evil. Why because the amount of goods that evil can trade. The balance between Good and Evil became a little better with Good goods. The only reason to go Good in old smr was for the HHG and FU while the Evil players has their SHIP and WEAPON plus all the trade goods. So what Evil has to sell off weapons, Good can not have no more then a 5 as long as their align over 200 and less if not. Evil gets checked at port, right once in a blue moon. I went evil and yes thats the way to go, so you carry some money on you to pay the port. Evil is how you make the money and exper fast, so you give up the FU and HHG who cares the FU cost to much in the old game and died just as easy in a fleet fight.

So if you do alway with Good goods what is the reason to go Good?
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

Honestly, rounds of 1.5 made clear that going evil has no other advantages, except for the DC and hunter's advantage, and most of the people were going green. It went to completely opposite direction from SMR 1.2.1. However, you have to be at least partly right, as most players in classic game at the moment are evil.
Use The Force(s)!
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

I think your right Infinity, you have to have a reason to go Evil and a different reason to go Good. But at the sametime both are good reasons for picking that alignment.
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

The reason for going good is obvious: the FU. You highly underestimate the Fu when you say it is too expensive and dies too easily. Any ship dies easily if flown by the wrong pilot. I am used to hunting in a DC and the only ship that you have to be afraid of in a DC is the FU. The MS? pff, just drop a few mines and it's dead. Devastator? Well, you run a bit and then it's out of turns. Eos? Yeah, maybe that would be a nasty fight, but if you're quick with laying mines it shouldn't be a problem. But the FU doesn't take a lot of damage from mines, it's jump makes it powerful when hunting and the only thing that sucks is that it has no mines.

If you think people are being checked too little at ports, then increase that, but it's no argument in the discussion on evil goods.

The fact that people are evil at the start of the game does not mean that will not balance out later.

Besides, you are missing the point. Trading evil goods is risky: you can get checked, pay money you can't miss or lose turns you don't want to miss. Good goods do not have any risk involved. And, but maybe that's just important for me, there isn't a single logical reason why evil people couldn't trade all goods.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

If going Good is so good then why did almost everyone go evil the last few games of smr? It simple in the old smr the alliances did not want you to buy FUs because it cost to much when racial war ships cost lot less so all thats left is the HHG. You get no trade advantages, no real ship advantages, and no weapon advantage.

Before you can say that the FU and HHG is a good reason for going Good by itself then you have to answer why do so few go good? If you can not balance good and evil then players will always pick the best way to go.

Maybe this is a good place to work your story line into the Good Evil thing?

Edit: Just incase you take that the wrong way I not trying to cut anything down. I like the idea of a story line. I will also see if I can come up with something on the good/evil thing.
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Having specific "good" goods is like the police complained about drug smugglers making money off of smuggling heroin accross the border so they want to be allowed to import legal drugs so they can make as much money as the criminal...

"Smuggling" paracetemol(advil whatever you americans call it) isn't(and shouldn't be) as lucrative as smuggling heroin...And hell..Why can't an evil guy get their hands on the advil...Only reason "good" guys cant get their hands on heroin is because the "dealers"(port owners) wont sell drugs to the cops cause they get in trouble..

If you wanna go down the story line i can poke holes in it all day =)

As far as im concerned though, trading special goods is an advantage that only evil players should be allowed. If we(you) feel that good players need more of an advantage then we should give them something else..Hell, give them a special branch of bank that only deals with "good" guys, so banking is easier for "good" players.

And i reallllllly think youn underestimate how important the advantage of being able to have a 5/+ rating in fed is. Do you know how much money and turns that saves people who use drones in the long run? Its a huge advantage, you just dont seem to understand it =)
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

And why does everyone feel so dirty when they agree with me? I'm gonna develop a complex soon if you're not careful =)
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

I am trying to be open here. I have played both Good and Evil more then once I know what each one offers. If you feel that having evil goods only and no good goods then that cool. What I am saying that you don't seem to understand is that the evil advantage is so good that going evil is the way to go. So maybe this calls for a new thread so we can hass this thing out.
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

erm... exactly, I can smuggle heroin as evil and legally import paracetamol, using the legal import as a cover up for heroin. Absolutely true.

Why people go evil... most times it's better for the alliance, more routes to trade, more money in the AA, no other particular reason for most people.

What Edge says about the FU is absolutely true, and no, not everyone can fly it, nor it's meant to be a ship for just anyone.
Use The Force(s)!
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

One other thing that everyone seems to be forgetting...

The HHG is the best weapon in the game. Nuke, well that can be substituted for a CBD no probs, but trying to get bang for your buck on shield damage, HHG just cant be equaled.

Oh yea, and also, Good players can be president..Evil players can't..Like i've said, theres plenty of advantages to going good, its just that very few people use them(or even think they are an advantage(see HHG and parking in fed with drones)). Oh yea, and good players can park with their goods in fed..Evil cant..kinda unfair? Why doesnt the underground HQ have a whole heap of "Evil Beacons" where everything is reversed..I mean, if good players get it, why shouldn't evil players?

This is like affirmative action. The pendulum effect in action. We've ended apparteid but we haven't ended the discrimination...