Turns Vs SC

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: Turns Vs SC

Post by Kahless_ »

Yea - the problem of SC goes deeper than just its name.

SC was designed to allow people to play more. Problem is it forces people to play more. You either play alot or you dont do well.

I truely think the only way forward is to go back to turns. There is still a niche for turn based strategy games, but well, we need turns for that..

Oh - and for the record, i need to make it clear, a return to turns SHOULD mean a return to the exact turn usage numbers we had in 1.0, not the new SC usage numbers in 1.5..
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Kahless_ wrote:SC was designed to allow people to play more. Problem is it forces people to play more. You either play alot or you dont do well.
Just to point out I wasn't suggesting just rebranding SC (although it would need it), but redoing the idea so that it would allow people to play more but NOT force it.
Edgecrusher wrote:Ship condition is a monster. The idea is nice, but has not been worked out enough by far to be any competition for turns. If we want SC, then we'll have to develop it from scratch if you ask me, maybe run it alongside turns for a while first.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

There is no reason to go back to turn base only game. If done right you can give more playing time without giving to much of an advantage. The SC was just not done right, Azool tryed to make it cost to take away some of the advantage but failed.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

all i know is the system in 1.5 is flawed in the sense that if you dont play all day long u are at a disadvantage, there should be limits to the amount of play a normal player does, thus why i think in the end turns has a limit and sc as it is now, doesnt except money
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Well i think the first step is to go back to turns. We know its balanced.

From there you folks can throw around ideas and develop fuel cells and such. I still feel like a fuddy duddy when i say that i dont see anything wrong with turns. With patience you can make your turns last as long as you want, you just can't do everything at once..which is good..

Although truthfully, SC IS a turn based system. The issue is the limitlessness of SC. A simple limit that is equivalent to 0 turns would have done alot to balance it...
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

I think another thing that would really help it is some way to change how often you have to play as well (some people may only be able to play every other day and almost everyone gets the odd day or two where they aren't able to play, if there's something they can do to limit the disadvantage of missing a day that'd helps it a lot as well)
Target
Quiet One

Post by Target »

Kahless_ wrote: Although truthfully, SC IS a turn based system. The issue is the limitlessness of SC. A simple limit that is equivalent to 0 turns would have done alot to balance it...
i don't really care for SC, but wouldn't something like if you have more than 500 repairs no matter what it takes at least 10 seconds to move a sector fix it?
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

No..200 repairs is too much in a psf..500 is way too much..Dont get me wrong, im not defending SC, just pointing out it isnt the system, its the amount it allowed us to do..
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

I'd really like to see a bit more open minds here... Yes, SC has it's flaws, that is correct, but I don't see the reason not to rework turns into something else, something more futuristic and more "space related", ya know space ships fly on fuel not on turns :) While the cost of whatever you do in the game is balanced with your overall progress, while a casual player can still find a way to keep up, game should be fine.

Statements "IF you don't give turns back, we will NOT play" are blackmail and ugly to be seen in this part of the web-board, so please restrain your self from those.

A few of excellent points have been made in this thread that can be used as guidelines on how to resolve this issue, but I still have to know which possibilities stay in the game and which don't to even tickle the solution.
Use The Force(s)!
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

The general feeling around is the same of that with "classic" and 1.5, you see I had this chat with Page, people do not see classic as 1.2.1 they see it as classic, and associate anthing with a 1 in it with 1.5 code which straight up they say it is crap and useless.

Same as SC, as soon as you mention ship condition they think 1.5 and oh it's a rubbish idea.

It's not the idea people dislike it's the way it was brought in with 1.5, so you want people to accept it (well more people) you need to re-work it and give it a different name.

But my honest opinion is, turns was a good point to SM/SMR and I think it would be better left in the game, we can bring 1.6 in to unchartered teritory with a new ship list and some of the other 1.5 features.

Why? People did and can play for hours on turns, they just lurked and did not move unless they got sure pings, and really when SM was popular the whole text based thing was huge, and the graphic side of things was not quite kicking in, we can not compete with WOW, LOTR online, Star Wars online or the other massive online games as a full time playing game, so we need to grab these people and be used as a part time game in between WoW or LOTR online, EvE or whatever. Capish?

I sway towards turns, this needs far to much time and thought changing it to a working concept, I would rather see more focus on making a more balanced ship list, a better structure for excavating and a more stable game in a whole :)
The truth is there, just don't look blindly