Hunting has become too difficult

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Re: Hunting has become too difficult

Post by Baalzamon »

on the map creator, you set a maximum expiry time for forces for each galaxy. I would say that invisible scouts are still a force, since they are purchased at the CA. If I was to set the expiry time for 1 day, that would be the maximum amount of time for those forces, regardless of 1 scout or 5 scouts.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Invisible scouts for me is a no no, to much of a godly injection in to the game even if you cant see them or refresh ect.

I would prefer the scouts and forces ownership only shown to allies and alliance mates, this allows you to drop scouts and enemies will not know who laid them, but still gives traders the option to destroy them.

Unkillable cloaked scouts make it a little OTT and ask yourself if we can cloak scouts that no one can see, why is the ship cloak level dependant?
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Scouts are itty bitty things that can be mistaken for debris? A great big ship moving through space makes a lot more waves?
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Space is null, void, nothing. There is no air or water to make waves or sound. The debris thing maybe but I would think ship scaners should be able to tell a rock from a scout that has a power signature and is sending out a message.

If you guys are going to do this at lease have a random chance of seeing it. :roll:
B.O.B.
Admin Emeritus

Post by B.O.B. »

Here's an idea to make invisible scouts stupidly expensive: make it so you have to buy a normal scout, then you go to a shop and buy a cloak for the scout at 500k, you have to do this for each scout you want invisible.
SGT Johnson, B.O.B.
Countries Visited: Afghanistan, Italy, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
Countries Lay Over: Germany, Ireland, Turkey
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

The idea about invisible scouts is to make it possible to hunt down experienced traders, so it would be a bit pointless to make high xp people see them. And I must admit I am a bit sad to hear Blade say this. Especially if taken into account that he hasn't killed a thing lately :)
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

What invisible scouts will do is make hunting easy. The bad thing is new players are going to pay the largest price on these scouts. When this idea was first brought up anyone could use invisible scouts and the idea was still unbalanced. Now that only hunters will have access to them make it a unbalanced joke.

Invisible scouts gives way to much of an advantage to the hunters.

Last thing what is said here in this forum stays in this forum being we are the beta team. But I would like to post this invisible scout idea in a open forum or it would be better if Edgecrusher post a thread since it is his idea just to see how the players of SMR react. Is this ok with everyone?
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

Well, the original idea was to make them available for everyone, but this would creates the exact opposite of what I intended: it would make hunting impossible.

I think hunting is much too difficult at the moment, so yes, this is meant to make hunting easier. And as said many times before, I think it will not be bad specifically for newer players, because invisible scouts will finally make vets easier to hunt, and most carreer hunters prefer hunting vets.

But I don't see any new arguments coming into the discussion, so I'm just gonna stop arguing for what other people consider an unbalanced joke. I don't see the point of posting this on an open forum either, because the discussion will only be more heated than it is here. We, as the beta-team, are supposed to work these suggestions out and if we can't then we better forget the idea.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

I have changed beta so it currently hides force owners unless you are allied, this seemed to be a change most people were ok with and is an easy change so just needs a little testing to make sure I didn't mess something up.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Page do you mean that only the owner name is missing? That you can still see the scout just not who owns it, if so this is good. Because why should a scout tell everyone "hey I belong to so and so, who is in whatever alliance" to the emeny. As a trader I will see a scout I will not know if that scout belongs to some other trader, some newbie hunter, or some top hunter.

Edgecrusher yes I was trying to work these invisible scouts out. But 1 we wanted them to cost the same. 2 we wanted the expire time to be the same. 3 we wanted to beable to have ships carry the same amount. 4 we wanted only hunter class ships to have access to them. So we wanted them to be just like normal scouts with a few differents. No one can see them so one can destroy them, and no one will know that a hunter is hunting them. The simple fact that these scout would be indestructible to all should make now they act different. If we could have compromised which is what I was trying to do then maybe this invisible scout could hold some water.

Edit: I just looked in beta scouts looks good, can't tell who owns them.