Shield Booster

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Shield Booster

Post by Freon22 »

I was thinking of ideas that would give the players more options on play. It can change the out come of a 1 0n 1 fight, fleet fight, port raid, or planet attack.
It can cause you to die or win, you can use it or not use it.

I have not hashed out everything yet and if everyone thinks it is worth thinking about then we can find tune it together.

So here is the idea.

Was thinking of a booster for shields. On weapons list have a disable button by each weapon. If the user disables a weapon then that weapon will not fire. The energy saving will boost the shield power by 10% not the amount of shields. Each disabled weapon lowers the damage to shields by 10%. So instead of a HHG hitting you for 300 shield damage it hits for 270 damage.

I think it will add more variety to the game.
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: Shield Booster

Post by Edgecrusher »

This is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. Just kidding :)

Seriously, I don't fully understand the idea. As I understand it, an attacker with 6 weapons can choose to disable one or more of these weapons and reroute the weapon's power to shields. That's where the understanding stops. Why not increase the number of shields instead of the complex mechanism you propose? And is the 10% cumulative or not (can a FU really decrease damage by 70% by disabling all weapons?).

Besides the fact that the idea is too difficult for my taste (I think an idea has to be simple to work), I also don't see the necessity. This will enable fleets to bust a fully built planet without casualties, gives all traders a free bonus to their defense (as they don't have to fire those weapons anyway), and can strongly influence a fight without the attacker or defender being able to judge his/her opponents ship strength in advance.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: Shield Booster

Post by Freon22 »

Yel I was just throwing this out there to see if anyone thought it was something worth looking into. 10% would be to high probably 5% would be better. The reason of not just adding more shields is that if a ship has 300 shield and they disable a weapon then at 10% you would be adding 30 more shields. So if someone was in a minefield with no shields left. They could just disable a few weapons and get more shields. Where if it just adds to the strength of the existing shields then disabling weapons would do them no good.

I was also thinking that losing a weapon balances out a stronger shield. On the trading ship I really did not think about that part. I felt that if you didn't have a weapon to disable then you could not get a bonus for not being able to disable it. LOL Most trading ships carries one weapon, I know some have more weapon ports but few buy more then one weapon. No real point since the trader is not going to win the fight, you only want one to clear a few mines or take out a scout.

Was looking for something that added more variety without causing a big impact to the game.

So you maybe right this may be the dumbest idea yet. :D