Keeping New Players

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: Keeping New Players

Post by Edgecrusher »

Well, as to suggestion #1, are we talking pure cosmetics here, or does it go deeper (say, to keep it simple, enable keyboard controlled movement)?

As to #2: I am dead set against this idea. I think programs like MGU/SMC/Lazytrader are fine for whoever want to use them, but I really dislike the fact that it is supported in-game by providing maps with a single mouseclick. Discovering galaxies, scouting locations and finding trade routes should be a challenge, not something everyone can do. Of course, it is easier this way, but the old alliance locations pages and manually constructed galaxy maps had their charm and also encouraged team play without making it too difficult for the solo player.

I think trading as well as hunting have degenerated since the introduction of in-game support for MGU, and I would hate to see that worsen.
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

How about an ingame list of all locations you have found then. Your own personal location page seeing as alliance loc pages are deader than dodos.

Oh yea, like Edge said, the MGU link should be removed. Then the loc page is a cool tool if you dont want to go ahead and put together your maps. I remember having a role in one alliance which is sadly non-existant now..I was a mapper..My job was making SMC maps..made me feel special..
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

That is a good idea, if you have been to a location then from that point on you can run a search and find it again.

But I don't see it helping new players much, as most don't even leave racial. No point for them to they don't know where to find anything to buy.
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

Well, the best way to keep new players is to get them into an alliance. Alliances would have locations pages.

I rest my case.

And as to the idea of a locations page: Alliance-run pages are deader than dodo's because no one needs them anymore. Removing the MGU link would revive the dodo. Since us Dutch people killed the dodo in the first place, I believe it is only fitting that I support its revival. I cannot find any big objections against in-game support for locations (as long as it doesn't include a course plot like 1.5 has), but I don't see the need for it either. Alliance location pages only take the most basic HTML coding skills.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Edgecrusher wrote:Removing the MGU link would revive the dodo.
The dodo of auto-mappers?
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

Auto-mapping is a no-no, not a dodo.
B.O.B.
Admin Emeritus

Post by B.O.B. »

Edgecrusher wrote:Auto-mapping is a no-no, not a dodo.
An auto-mapper is quite easy to build. Azool used to have the names of the image files garbled with a hash and what not, but even that wouldn't really stop someone determined to build one.
SGT Johnson, B.O.B.
Countries Visited: Afghanistan, Italy, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
Countries Lay Over: Germany, Ireland, Turkey
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Well I'd expect auto-mappers to come back if the download link were ever to be removed, and that just narrows down the number of people can use it even more, so they get an even bigger advantage than usual..
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

Well, I have never used an auto-mapper in my entire SM/SMR-carreer. I must admit I am and always have been a bit of a loner, but I have been in quite a few big alliances that didn't use them (to my knowledge). Still, Page managed to convince me of his argument and I am okay with keeping MGU support in.

However, I still don't think extending the in-game support is a good idea. Anyone can install MGU, besides maybe Mac-users, but it is not too difficult to make MGU platform independent. I am glad that the the advanced plot course of 1.5 is gone in classic.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Edgecrusher wrote:However, I still don't think extending the in-game support is a good idea. Anyone can install MGU, besides maybe Mac-users, but it is not too difficult to make MGU platform independent. I am glad that the the advanced plot course of 1.5 is gone in classic.
Linux/Mac users cannot install MGU, people who play from school/library/work can most likely not install it either. If the functionality can be available to everyone, why shouldn't it be in the game? The MGU site used to have an online version as well. My only problem with it being integrated would be performance concerns (which I believe can be fairly easily addressed).

I just think that telling to a new player that they HAVE to install this program to compete in a game that is otherwise purely webbased is likely to put quite a lot of them off. And if you say it's not a problem because they'll just join an alliance that will have the routes posted, that's just saying it's an integral part of the game (which isn't actually part of the game :S)