Keeping New Players

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Page
SMR Coder

Keeping New Players

Post by Page »

I asked some people I know who have previously tried SMR what changes would most get them play/keep playing. (They used to play TDZK so are not complete newbies, but are the type of people to play browser games and do play others).

#1 was that they didn't like the interface (although were willing to get past it)

#2 was the trade system
The main problem was getting routes, some were able to work out their own (but thought it took way too much effort for what it was) and some weren't (didn't understand the trade system properly). We all use MGU/SMC/LazyTrader for getting routes, but newbies have to rely on people being kind enough to give them routes or install these themselves. Personally I'm sure most won't want to install an entire program just to play a browser based game (it kinda loses the point of it being browser based) and relying on the kindness of most people in this game is generally a bad idea.
Another point was being confused by when they were/weren't safe (although this may be related to TDZK having docking).

To fix these problems here are my suggestions:
#1 A redesigned interface (which i am hoping for but doesn't look too great atm)
#2 Integrate some sort of route finding system into SMR.

Reasons for #2:
To level the playing field so all players have access to the same tools - people shouldn't have an advantage because they have the ability to install some extra program. Some people can't install them due to not having permissions to do so, some simply can't (mac for instance) and some don't want to install some unknown program.
For the argument that these programs shouldn't exist at all, well they do, and they aren't going to go away. Also finding a route manually is easy, it just takes a lot time - those that want to do it that way still can, and it's possible to find better routes if you can be bothered but it is just boring and monotonous.

Ideas for #2
Have it possible so that people can generate routes for only their own galaxies/only racials/all galaxies.
Have it possible to only generate each once per day (for performance reasons), or have it automatically done for everyone once per day, or have it each person once per day and share the updated results between all and just apply filters (this beats having it individually I expect).
Routes would be limited to what you can see.
Have a little explanation including saying the best routes are likely to be drained/hunted.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: Keeping New Players

Post by Freon22 »

On the interface at one time I was going to try and build one. Was thinking some gif images for frames and some flyout windows for option menus.

But there is something you can do right away to make 1.6 more user friendly for new players.

1. Add a tooltip on all ports in neutral galaxies showing what race they are.

2. Add a search method for finding Ship Shops, Weapon Shops, Accessory Shops.

Those two things alone will take some of playing blindly out of the game and will make programs like SMC less important.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Freon22 wrote:On the interface at one time I was going to try and build one. Was thinking some gif images for frames and some flyout windows for option menus.

But there is something you can do right away to make 1.6 more user friendly for new players.

Those two things alone will take some of playing blindly out of the game and will make programs like SMC less important.
I worry that your #2 idea might make things too easy for players, there has to be conscious effort to learn the game and in turn learn where stuff is and isnt
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

JettJackson wrote:
Freon22 wrote:On the interface at one time I was going to try and build one. Was thinking some gif images for frames and some flyout windows for option menus.

I worry that your #2 idea might make things too easy for players, there has to be conscious effort to learn the game and in turn learn where stuff is and isnt
Personally I can't remember the last time I had to search a gal map for a location.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

I think every vet knows where everything is. So the idea will help new players and still learning players. The same for my idea #1 any vet trader already knows what ports belong to what race. SMC tells all, just that these two little add ons will help new players and make SMC less of a need to have inorder to play.
If you want to make it harder for new players then just make it so you can't search for shops in unknown sectors. Like in this round of classic the The Smuggler's Craft is in a planet galaxy. If you don't have a map of that galaxy and was searching for the Thief it would return "Unknown Location, because of incomplete Maps".

I don't know to me if you have the map or not its not a big deal if you tell them the location. Knowing where something is gives them a reason to play and trade to get the money to go and get it. Without knowing where something is doesn't give them much of a reason to play and trade. What you going to do with that money you can't spend it you don't know where anything is?
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

We've talked about donation reward packages before...congratulate new players with one of these packages at key moments, like when moving from newbie to beginner, from beginner to fledgling. This adds in rewards for sticking with the game.

I'd be interested to see the route generation ideas. I wouldn't want a full fledged MGU route to be able to be generated using it, I feel like if you want something like that, you should go out of your way for the optimum route. Even adapting an idea like the one that ME has, a drop down menu that shows the nearest port that buys/sells a good and then auto-plots you to that location. Nothing too fancy, but enough to get by on.

As for an interface...I know that there haven't been many (any?) submissions to the contest for a new interface, but could we do a quick and easy change? We had the flashing screen a customizable color, could we adapt the layout colors in the same way? Type in a color code for the text, for the background, for the borders. This lets people switch from the generic green, and isn't so complicated a complete new interface. Something to feed people while we wait for more of a major change in that aspect.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

New interface is a great idea! I would love to see a change, it looks plain and boring.

Idea #2 is great, Any decent SMR players uses MGU and thats a 3rd party program. Would be awesome to have it once you explore the galaxy, you can search for routes on the browser. Yes it makes it easier but honestly, who actually looks for routes? it takes too much time and its boring.
This is a beat, you just can't touch.....
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Baalzamon wrote: We had the flashing screen a customizable color, could we adapt the layout colors in the same way? Type in a color code for the text, for the background, for the borders.
It can be done by editing the .css file, but there are quite a lot of different colours specified in there and if not all are changed then it could mess up things like having white text on white background, or similar, so there would be a lot of options for colours. However it's possible but a lot of newer I wouldn't expect to bother going as far as customizing it all themselves.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

my worry isnt about keeping new players its about getting them here, no offense but not many come along anymore to find the game, i know we cant do pay advertizing but there has to be a way to get our faces out there for free
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

JettJackson wrote:my worry isnt about keeping new players its about getting them here, no offense but not many come along anymore to find the game, i know we cant do pay advertizing but there has to be a way to get our faces out there for free
I'm not too worried about getting people to come here, I'm worried that any we do manage to get visiting won't bother to stay because that's worse in many ways. Advertising is being worked on, but no use if people don't stay.