Admin Emeritus

Combat Changes

Post by B.O.B. »

Page wrote:
Infinity wrote:1. Player combat - rewritten
2. Port comabt - rewritten
3. Forces combat - rewritten
6. Planet combat - rewritten
Means attacker now shoots first and defender can't fire if destroyed before their turn.
This used to be this way, but for player vs player (at the very least), it was changed so that both fired at the same time. Reason: Gave too much advantage to those with the fast connection, especially in fleet fights.

So I've got to question your motives for changing something back to the way it was, when the whole purpose of changing it in the first place was to alleviate an imbalance in favor of the ones with fast connections.
SGT Johnson, B.O.B.
Countries Visited: Afghanistan, Italy, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
Countries Lay Over: Germany, Ireland, Turkey
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: Combat Changes

Post by Infinity »

I believe main reasoning were double deaths... If attacked one's ship is already destroyed he cannot return fire. Difference between connection speeds isn't that huge nowadays and no fight ends in a single shot.

Now, I believe Page can explain this better.
Use The Force(s)!
B.O.B.
Admin Emeritus

Post by B.O.B. »

Infinity wrote:I believe main reasoning were double deaths... If attacked one's ship is already destroyed he cannot return fire. Difference between connection speeds isn't that huge nowadays and no fight ends in a single shot.

Now, I believe Page can explain this better.
I disagree. I'm in Afghanistan and earlier in a 1.5 game, an enemy hunter moved 12+ sectors, and shot me twice before I could get a single page loaded. I know I'm on a lousy connection in Afghanistan, but I am sure that I am not the only with a lousy connection.
SGT Johnson, B.O.B.
Countries Visited: Afghanistan, Italy, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
Countries Lay Over: Germany, Ireland, Turkey
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

B.O.B. wrote:
Page wrote:
Infinity wrote:1. Player combat - rewritten
2. Port comabt - rewritten
3. Forces combat - rewritten
6. Planet combat - rewritten
Means attacker now shoots first and defender can't fire if destroyed before their turn.
This used to be this way, but for player vs player (at the very least), it was changed so that both fired at the same time. Reason: Gave too much advantage to those with the fast connection, especially in fleet fights.

So I've got to question your motives for changing something back to the way it was, when the whole purpose of changing it in the first place was to alleviate an imbalance in favor of the ones with fast connections.
Two main reasons it changed, one is that it makes sense that attackers fire first and defenders only retaliate once they see the attack, second is that it worked nicer to code it that way.

In terms of affecting gameplay:
Hunter vs Trader - Same as always (trader doesn't have any hope of killing the hunter)
Outnumbered fight - Same as always (the outnumbered team will almost always lose given same ships/exp - if they're really gutsy they may slightly increase their odds, but it's unlikely to help)
Even numbered fight - The ones that just watch CS waiting to run will get a disadvantage (I think this is fair, they are choosing to play it safe and wait for the enemy to attack). The slower shooter will indeed get a disadvantage because they cannot fire as many shots however it depends on who triggered certain shots (the ones where deaths happen) rather than the total triggered, but if they are significantly slower then they will lose because the other can single them/uno/etc whilst they're still loading pages - it's not fair and I hated it when I was still on dial-up but I cannot change that without causing forced lag on every page.

Reasons I prefer it this way:
It means that someone with low defense but the guts to carry on shooting has more chance to get away with taking the risk.
It means that someone who does the opposite and just watches CS constantly and play it safe are at a slight disadvantage (although they're likely to run before it comes to that point).
Basically it favours the one who is willing to take risks, the same with trading - you may never be found/die on a perf 2x but you won't get anywhere near as much money/exp as someone using a riskier route.

I do still need to add more features to the combat simulator to make sure this isn't causing a major imbalance but as it stands it doesn't seem to having an overpowering effect (but like I said it does need ways to test more situations)