Planets?

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Planets?

Post by Freon22 »

So are planets going to be like 1.5? Also are we going to be able to build 3 different structures at once?
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df3bnjgc_13cnb624fz
Page
SMR Coder

Re: Planets?

Post by Page »

I'd like them to have a lot more depth like 1.5 was supposed to have but I want them to actually have all the buildings work rather than the half-finished version of 1.5, and that's quite a big project so will take quite a bit of time I expect.
However I seem to remember that guide missing out the details of quite a lot of things, one thing for instance is how the goods exchange should work.
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

I'm hoping we can strike a balance between innovation and unnecessary complexity.....=)
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Kahless_ wrote:I'm hoping we can strike a balance between innovation and unnecessary complexity.....=)
I agree, I think as planets were supposed to be for 1.5 there were things that seemed to just be extra "fluff" and just made me think wtf (plus the fact half of them would be a :D to code/balance). But can still give planet builders some more interesting options/strategies.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

I didn't like the way planets were done in 1.5. OR's idea and my idea of planets were to different things. Where he tryed to tie planets together I just wanted to make planets more valueable.

Like maybe adding a ship hanger so players could store a extra ship on the planet. Maybe even have a random surprise on random planets so that while building planets the builder or planet owner may get a message like "While excavating to build the new Turret we found an alien weapon, would you like to install it on your ship?".

With this the game promotes owning and building planets. The only thing you would want to be sure not to do is make these surprise items to over powerful that it would unbalance things.
canff
Beta Tester

Post by canff »

Planets all depend on how big we let ships get...
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

canff wrote:Planets all depend on how big we let ships get...
Planet defenses, sure, but other features don't relate to size of ships.
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

I have a great idea: why don't we make it that you build weapon slots instead of turrets, and then allow people to install ship-based weapons on planets? :)

Seriously, I really liked the principle behind OR's planet ideas, which was that planets work together, and that you need to build up different aspects. It brings more strategy to the game. Combined with player stats (which I certainly hope will come back, but we'll need to discuss them first), this even has the potential to make planet building a seperate carreer (if we think carefully of the potential benefits/disadvantages). If you just make planets more valuable, then nothing really changes. Fleet wars are already about attacking each others planets, what is the need for making them more valuable?
B.O.B.
Admin Emeritus

Post by B.O.B. »

Edgecrusher wrote:I have a great idea: why don't we make it that you build weapon slots instead of turrets, and then allow people to install ship-based weapons on planets? :)

Seriously, I really liked the principle behind OR's planet ideas, which was that planets work together, and that you need to build up different aspects. It brings more strategy to the game. Combined with player stats (which I certainly hope will come back, but we'll need to discuss them first), this even has the potential to make planet building a seperate carreer (if we think carefully of the potential benefits/disadvantages). If you just make planets more valuable, then nothing really changes. Fleet wars are already about attacking each others planets, what is the need for making them more valuable?
This was in original SM but was taken out to players swapping weapons around so they could have a HHG and a Nuke and what not. Only way I see this as viable is if once a weapon is equipped to a planet, it can only be destroyed.
SGT Johnson, B.O.B.
Countries Visited: Afghanistan, Italy, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
Countries Lay Over: Germany, Ireland, Turkey
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

B.O.B. wrote:This was in original SM but was taken out to players swapping weapons around so they could have a HHG and a Nuke and what not. Only way I see this as viable is if once a weapon is equipped to a planet, it can only be destroyed.
That was the first thing I thought when I read the post :P
Currently planet turrets are just another weapon (just no one can buy it) so this would be as easy as allowing the weapons to be changed rather than always defaults to X planet turrets.