>500 Personal Relations

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Page
SMR Coder

>500 Personal Relations

Post by Page »

Currently in 1.6 personal relations can go above 500. This means that a trader can gain >500 relations and raid ports/go to war with a race and still trade with them, buy weapons (although possible with +201 anyway I beleve), etc.

Should this be allowed? Should we allow this but only count the first 500 relations for certain things?
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: >500 Personal Relations

Post by Kahless_ »

I think it should be limited to 500.
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: >500 Personal Relations

Post by Infinity »

We had this in 1.5, so I'm gonna break it down how it worked...

Hunters could get relations with races that are keeping war with most of other races by target hunting, which was giving them a little bonus when it comes to getting more weapons. Currently, kills do not affect relations, so that option is out.

Massive PRs were possible, but with turns, it would probably go much slower than it did with SC, cause as you remember, with SC and raid weapons small fleet could rape ports whole day. Here, it would include much more work, so it might be allowed as it satisfies the "getting something for something" balance.

Then there was a way of maxing relations, where a serious amount of dump-trading had to be done once relations start moving up by 1 relation point. With SC and enough money it was possible to do this in a day... with turns, let's see..
Usual scenario would be enemy race's relations with my race at say -450 and my personal relations gained from killing would be at 200, which would allow trading with their ports, but not yet getting their weapons, as it sums up at -250. First 500 relations gained by trading would go in chunks of 10 per 300 holds trade, which on a 1x route translates into 75 turns and brings total relations to +250.
750 missing relations to a total of 1000 that go up by 1 per trade, would take 750 trades on a 1x route which is... 1125 turns, which is about five days in IST (if the limit would be 300 holds for 1 relations point and game speed 1.5)... which is sacrificing 5 days of trading which is on average about 30k xp and/or decent amount of money on top of it.
This still keeps the "getting something for something" balance.

I imagine hunters might take their time with this to get better weapons, only it would take them a day or two, not 5 days to only get guns (as they would have to pass only the 300 total relations mark) which sticks out of the balance we'd want to achieve. Change of relations by kills in 1.5 was essentially flawed and if we would accept such a system once again and possibility of raising relations over 500, it would have to be re-invented from the scratch.

Honestly, I don't know if this should be just thrown away or reworked and put into the game. There's some numbers thrown in now... :)
Use The Force(s)!