Where are the admins?

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Re: Where are the admins?

Post by Baalzamon »

You haven't seen Nariis around because she rarely posts on the message board (although she DOES read it) and she is one of the people AKILLed from VJ's server, so you haven't seen her in chat.

She has stuff going on IRL right now so her playtime is very low (much like mine), but she knows what's going on and what's what. I've been talking to her on other IRC servers and on Facebook.

Once the IRC issue is solved, people will see Admins around a lot more then they see currently. (If anyone is interested in the IRC server we're looking at switching to, its irc.coldfront.net #smr)

During 1.5, there were "Admin" and "Beta Leader" and "Newbie Helper" tags next to people in those respective positions. I don't think that's something very difficult to do, and if Page has time to do it, I think it would be a good idea to bring it back.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Baalzamon wrote:She has stuff going on IRL right now so her playtime is very low (much like mine), but she knows what's going on and what's what.
Any idea when IRL is going to allow her to be more active in the game? It just seem that shes been gone for a long time. I see it like this SMR wants players to play SMR needed the beta team to work on testing. btw during the game coding the beta team did spend a good deal of their playing time testing. Infact I remember a post saying that if a beta member did not have enough free time to test they would be removed. I will do a search and see if I can find that post.

So if the SMR and the admin wanted the beta team to be active then its only fair that the players should want the admin team to be active. So completey understanding IRL things do and will always come up sometimes, if an admin can not be somewhat active then what? Is it once an Admin always an Admin no matter what. I am looking to see what the requirements are for an Admin to maintain their status.
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

For an admin to be removed from their position, Spock has to remove them himself. there is no "heirarchy" of admins, so one of us isn't higher or lower than any of the others.

For someone to become an admin, there needs to be agreement within the admins that another one is needed, we talk to spock about it, and then we go about finding that admin. There is no set way to do it, there have been multiple ways its been done in the past...when RCK became an admin, it was a vote from the committee and admin teams that chose him over others (correct me if I'm wrong there RCK, I'm pretty sure thats what we did). When DWill and I became admins, we were chosen by BOB, who was given permission by Spock to choose people...he chose us because he was being deployed, and he needed people to take over his duties on the WB and in Chat, and at that time, we were seen as the best candidates. When Blade was chosen to be reinstated as an admin, we had told spock we needed someone to help us out, and he let us decide who, and the admins at the time nominated and voted for Blade.

To remain an admin, you don't quit, you do your job, you don't screw up. You screw up, you can be removed if the other admins and Spock agree that's the right course of action. I myself have quit and then been reinstated. That was because when I quit, I had quit because of all the hits that the community had given me for screwing up. I screwed up, I quit, a few other admins talked to me, and I came back. There was a time when BOB and I had been removed from our positions for playing before the game began. We were removed, then reinstated under probation for 3 months, and not allowed to play for over half of the round that this happened in.

Some admins get removed because of their inactivity. I had removed Siege from admin privileges soon after I had been appointed in that position because he hadn't been seen or heard from in a longer time then any of us could recall. That's more of cleaning up house then kicking someone out of an admin position though.

As for admins actively playing the game...I myself try to find time as best as I can, and it ends up being pretty sporadic (ask kiky about that one), but I do what I can. I know that others do the best that they can as well. At the same time, it sometimes help to not be actively involved in a round so that, should a problem arise, the issue can be resolved without having to worry about bias. That's not to say that we (the admins) should not have a character in game. All admins should have a character in game that they check as often as they check the message board (for me, that's every time I load my browser...I admit I don't check my game messages that often, especially up until the past couple days...midterms had seen to that).

If there are concerns regarding specific admins, feel free to message other admins about the problem. The issue will be resolved as best we can, and no names will be called out. So I wouldn't say, "So RCK, turns out Kiky thinks that you're a failure and shouldn't be admin." I would say "RCK, I've gotten a message from someone who is concerned about your ability to perform your Admin obligations as well as they need to be." (Disclaimer: This was made up on the spot, I've received no message of the sort...yet ;-) )

(This message was a lot more long-winded then I had intended...I hope it helped)
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

I am not in chat, I just dont have time for it with my current job going as it is.

However I do and have been catching people who cheat, few people have been banned, as for the globals they are ALL logged and I do "skim" them, unfortunately I can not look at everyone as I simply do not have 3 hours to read 100 globals :P

No one has reported a message for some time, so bypassing the filter you be doing, but people are not reporting it. I try to log in to the game when I can.

But I think admins should have 2 accounts. 1 That gives you a red name in game, that is given a ship that CAN NOT move (starts with 0 turns and has 0 turns an hour) so it can not be abused by anyone who may "try" to do so.

This will at least show admin presence in the game, as new players wont know who are the online admins in game.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

I personally don't think every admin should have a second account...I could see a shared Admin account, where all reported messages go to, all globals are sent to, and if people need to talk to an admin, they send it to that account so that whichever admin gets on first will see it and take care of it.

But to be honest, thats not much different then how the admin tools work now. I would rather just have an "Admin" tag next to my name on the CPL and rosters and ranks and whatnot, although I do understand some admins not wanting to give away their ability to play anonymous at the start of a round...I just personally would prefer the tag.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Or a tag yes, something needs to be visually shown in game that we are either staff (people who can help) or admins (people who can scare you)
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

An icon or sometype of a tag would be a good thing. Would let people know that the game is being managed.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

I'll read all this and comment when im up all night with the baby :)
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Okay, quickly skimmed this... and agree with it. Having the admin tags would come in handy for sure as much as i enjoy hiding :)

-RCK
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

Guys, it's not about tags in game or anything... *sigh*... I know you all have good will and everything, but it would be really great if it could be shown a bit more in the game. I mean... I am online really a lot and I had the feeling that you all have completely disappeared from the face of the Earth, even tho I know very well how to find you.

Ok, I feel a little better here, there's response actually, so I guess it's not all that bad.
Use The Force(s)!