Maintenance

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

couldn't get that latest formula to plot Azool, could you repost it?
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

In the past 24 hours we have repaired 228 points of maintenance for you.
We have also offered you 145 credits of maintenace.
Based on this, we will repair your ship right now for about 2,591 credits per point.

n the past 24 hours we have repaired 277 points of maintenance for you.
We have also offered you 145 credits of maintenace.
Based on this, we will repair your ship right now for about 2,416 credits per point.

As you can see, the price went down.
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

yeah, the equation has a slight "bump" in that area (hard to make it go away with a 6th order poly :)). Once we get an idea of where we want the equation to be I'll make it disappear.
Men are born to succeed, not fail.
-Henry David Thoreau
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

If you post the formula, I can play with that bump, I enjoy that kind of thing (anyone replying to this should remember that this is a clean WB).
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

$unit_cost = (.00000000003*pow($past_maint,6) + .0000002*pow($past_maint,5) - .0006*pow($past_maint,4) + .5108*pow($past_maint,3) - 114.24*pow($past_maint,2) + (9176.7*$past_maint) + 20000) / 100;

thats the exact PHP for the code.

Enjoy playing with the bump ;)
-Henry David Thoreau
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

Also finalized the broken down aspect, you now can't do anything while broken down.
-Henry David Thoreau
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

uhhh i know i seem a little late on this...... but.... I totally disagree with the aspect of 'buying turns' for a couple of reasons...

The first reason being the # of turns a ship can get an hour was a constant that was used in determining most of the other formulas/attributes in the game..... if this variable is no longer static this means the possibility of manipulation is high as well, other attributes/stats become harder to balance.....

The second reason is, to me anyways..... this seems like a way for the rich to get richer and the poor to stay the same.... Unlike real life money is not the goal of SMR.... XP and Kills are, money is merely a vehicle for allowing you to get XP and Kills. To obtain more of either goal you need turns. If this change is implemented the rich can afford more turns and thus get even more XP and Kills while the poor cannot. This seems wrong to me. I understand the intention is to have people who have time play and people who don't still being able to compete, but i think this will cause even more imbalance within the game.

And if the past couple games have taught us anything its that when alliances get crushed people quit. This change, in my belief will make it easier for alliances to do the crushing.

I'm all for the maitenance breaking down thing, but please don't sell maitenance points, at least not in the way described. Maybe pay XP instead of money for more maitenance????
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

If you read the whole post you will see we accounted for that. The more you repair the less exp you gain from activities, also the worse your accuracy or wep dmg becomes.
-Henry David Thoreau
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

I did read the post...... and i don't think that really compensates.... (one example.... if i'm mining the universe... i don't get XP, or use my weapons but as a rich alliance i can single everywhere without running out of turns......)

There will obviously be a point at which buying more 'maitenance' is not worth it... and math nerds will figure it out (i know i'll enjoy figuring it out) but it will still greatly benefit the rich at the expense of the poor..... alliances end with billions of credit every game.... this way they can go on a spending spree like nothing seen before...

On a side note i find it kinda funny that you have added all this additional 'math' (for lack of a better word) without actually using numbers....... during the beta test it'll be jokes to find out how many ways you can exploit it :P
RandyOrsolo
Admin Emeritus

Post by RandyOrsolo »

Just make sure *everything* becomes more dangerous as your ship becomes more and more worn down, so to speak, and have to buy more maintenance. Flying giving a higher chance of getting stuck in space, for example, mines you drop explode in the hold due to an overworked crew, firing weapons causing you to lose shields and armor, things like that.

The important thing with adding maintenance is ensuring every possible loophole is accounted for, or at least making it to the point where exploiting it is not worth your time.
What, you want something witty?