Planets

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Ender
Quiet One

Planets

Post by Ender »

The question was posed the other day about planets and how to make them more of an incentive, Lots of things where thrown about but none was realy an answer and most things where instantly dismissed, So I got set my brain cogs in motion and came up with this idea, please read it all and try to think outside of the box!.

Planets, All planets as we know them are removed from the game, thats right no planets at all!, Instead we have this idea....

Colonys, Ok with an abundance of new content in the game I thought of making certain things more envolved and more varied so colonys, as we know colonys are minable resources but what if they where more then this?, what if they where workable and changable? So ok, you come across a colony its a level 19! thats awesome it has a large amounts of minable resources within them and they are within a designated planet galaxy (this round eda and acco), So you tell your alliance about this uber Asteroid belt! (Note colony is now asteroid belt) and a collective decision is made to goto a raciel HQ and buy that new shiney gadget of sorts! what does it do? Well its a Molacule compacter!, What the hell is that!? well for a start its huge, we will need a tow ship or a collusus to move it!, Ok I'll get the ship can you send me the 150 million for the Molacule Compacter?, Ok so we have the large ship to move the gadget and the gadget is purchased! where was that asteroid field again? 5580 ok lets research the area, the uno is 20 away, the sector layout is nice and their is a CA 30 away ok lets do it, move yourself to the sector ASAP, once their jettison the Molacule Compacter and click Begin, the begin button is next to the forces examine button, Ok boss its started it says I cannot leave the sector for one hour or the process will be stopped and the Molaculer compacter damaged beyond repair!, ok lets guard it.............. An hour has passed and the colony is now a spaceport owned by the anchoring alliance (not a player), lets dock and see what it is, on docking the two alliance mates discover the starport has 19 generators and they are full further more they discover the starport has 10 1st rat turrets and 9 secondery turrets and if that was not good enough they also discover hangers containing 850 combat drones! further more all of this can be built upon, their is a research option aswell and all of those old research options remain and can be researched!, the two friends begin to talk, they say how 150 million for a ship and how 150 million for the gadget has gotten them a defendable base of operations for their planet, they also observe how to a certain extent they have picked where they whanted it, they also observe how having this base gives them a very good start in building a defendable place to live and how its added incentive to owning one..

So the key things are -

You need to find a colony in a planet designated Galexy.
Any level of colony is fine however a level one colony yields 1 Generator, 1 turret and 20 drones, so the higher level colony as described above yields a much better starting base so if your spending 300 million (ball park figure) your not going to pick a colony of a small level you'll want i higher level Asteroid field.

Whats this does-

It brings the new content and explodes it.
It gets rid of the early time consuming level 0 planet.
It creates incentive.
All current options can be on the starport.
It allows for alliances to almost pick and choose a location ( this can obviusly be kept in cheak, IE you wouldnt whant one on the node to a shared style galexy so no colony would ever appear their).
In getting rid of the early planet build stages it boost's alliances confidence in keeping it this comes at a cost!.
Once destroyed the starport is gone forever.
Alliance ownership is better then player, its an alliance asset.
If the alliance disbands the Starport becomes nutral like nutral ports.

For the coders-

The changes are not actuely as massive as first appears, taking the planets out is simple.
We would require the gadget and how it evolves once jettisend coded aswell as the gadget itself.
Coding would need to happen on colony lvl and placement.
Current planet code could be implemented once starport is anchored and built IE old planet code with a tweak takes over.

How I derived at this idea-

I tryed to stear clear of other games and not have their or even similer systems, I obviusly like the idea and feel with your input and tweaking it could become workable and differant to anything seen in SMR or similer games.
Planets in whatever game have always been the hot topic, nobody has ever gotten them even close to perfect and pleasing for all, is this the answer? I doubt it but i feel its a start and a workable one!.
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Re: Planets

Post by OmegaRenegade »

No offence ender, but I gotta say I think this is a horrible idea...
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

Ender
Quiet One

Post by Ender »

Any elaboration?
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

Well, there were a couple things I liked, and being able to place a base where ever you want is handy. However it seems like its even harder to build, makes it even more of a hassle to build, not easier, if we're trying to promote planet use, making them more annoying isnt the way to do it. Building also starts within the first week of the game, even though your belts come pre-packaged with various buildings, alliances would need to save up a whole lot of cash before being able to start.
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will