We want the code

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: We want the code

Post by Freon22 »

Put a cork in it Infinity, I am more involved then just the web board.. I play the live game everyday just to make you happy. I spend time on the beta server testing.
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

Well, then at least read my posts right. I told you I have a Phd in computer science and you question whether I know how to setup a database?

I did not ask for a copy of the database, I asked for the database fields. If the database has been set up right then someone should easily be able to give me an UML-model of what the database looks like without having to give me a single bit of data from the actual database. I need to know what type of data is being manipulated, but I don't care what exactly the value of the data is. This is not a matter of trust or even of security.
For example, Page sent me the mining code earlier and I am intelligent enough to figure things out even though it's mostly one big black box, but if I would have known what all database fields mean, I would have been able to read the same code in a glance.

I am not going to apply to be a coder, because I know jack poop about php, but I am more than able to judge a code and rewrite it, as I did with the mining code, which is now in beta (of course after Page checked it).
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Fair enough I see no problem with Page giving you the
Table Names
Field Names, Field Data Types
Primary Key and Foreign Keys

With that information you can build your own database for testing. I don't have a Phd in computer science but I can write queries, stored procedures, and am fair at database design. The number one thing that was pushed into my head during my training was to always guard my codes and database. So when I see threads about "We want the codes" alarms go off. I don't mind Spock sharing the code, it belongs to him and he can do what he wants with it. But some of that content in the database belongs to me. Spock and Azool both said that the personal infor will not be shared with third party. So if they decide to share the database design with you, its ok with me as long as you do not get the personal content.
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

Well, I understand your concern. I always meant to emphasize that I am here to help the game, not to hijack it. I want to see the code because it helps me to better understand what I am helping to develop. I know many people feel that it is not necessary to have the full code, but in the absence of someone who has all the time in the world to explain bits and pieces of it to me, it is in my eyes the only solution. For the same reason I would like to know how the database is organised, because it's an inherent part of the code.

I really wonder what on earth there would be in a database that you consider your property, or why with the current state of the game (it's not a million-copy game, really) you would want to claim anything (if I forgot to put copyrights in the GP, can someone add them?), but it's not really my concern. I'm not interested in the contents of the database, merely in the database fields.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Edgecrusher wrote:I really wonder what on earth there would be in a database that you consider your property,
Like I have always said in all of my coding the main concern is protecting the database. Be that from orphan files or hackers trying to get passwords and email addresses. So when I think someone is asking for the database I try to do whatever I have to do to stop it. Its a well own fact that most internet users only use a max of three different passwords for all their login on the net. SMR does not encrypted the users passwords, so with their email address and password someone could start checking sites like paypal, banking site, other web boards. Simply put I do not want you or anyone to have my email address unless I am the one giving it to someone. As far as my password I don't want anyone to have my password, I tried to get SMR to encrypt the passwords in the pass but for some unknown reason they wont. Not sure why maybe its they don't know how and if that was the case I could show them how.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Umm Freon, tbh your not really helping, your basically saying your do your best to hinder production all because a coder can see your details. unfortunate as it is, you signed up knowing this was only run by a fellow gamer, I am kind of lost your trying your damdess to halt things on that ground.

If you are not happy how the data is stored, simply ask that it is destroyed and setup a SMR email address and a password used only for SMR, though I am sure Edge does not want the code to look up your personal details.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

It not just my infor, there are lots users in the database. But you and someothers win, your opinions are the only ones that counts. You know you don't have to agree with my opinions and I don't have to agree with your, but I would not be putting you down just because I didn't agree. There has been thing that has happen that I have been against, I post my opinion and move on. But up to this point I have never had to try and defend my opinion, to have to prove that I have a right to post my opinion.

I will contact Spock and ask him to delete my account on SMR. Baalzamon you are free to remove me from the beta forum.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

An opinion is not an opinion when you state "I try to do whatever I have to do to stop it"

Edge stated many times he does not want access to the databases, but you continued to say and impy your going to sway Spock away from helping us. Just seems you threw all your toys out of the pram.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Freon - i think you're confused. They're asking for the code, not the database. Sure this will tell them where data is stored, but guess what, thats it. What use is a copy of everyones user details to us?

Go back and re-read the request before you go an quit.

Summary: Want code, not data.

And freon - yes you have a right to defend your opinion on here..The reason we arnt agreeing with you is not cause we disagree with you about data security...its the fact that your argueing a different issue to the rest of us...
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

One more time: I am interested in one thing only, and that is the database fields: how has it been built up and how can it be used. To be fully clear, one more example: we are looking at creating more extensive missions, partly to train newbies, partly to increase the role-playing experience. But without knowing what actions have been implemented and what data fields can be used, making up missions is like shooting in the dark.

I don't like to see anyone quitting, and we can use all the creative input we can get in here, but please read carefully before you reply. We are here to help develop the game, but that is difficult if someone keeps questioning your motives.