We want the code

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: We want the code

Post by Freon22 »

I think you misunderstand where the first SMR codes came from. All SMR codes came from MrSpock and Azool no codes came from SM. The idea did came from SM but the writing of the first codes was by MrSpock and Azool. They never copyed any of the SM codes, they did not have any of the SM codes to copy from. They knew how thing should work and wrote they own PHP codes and did their own database design.

Anyone who wants to code an SM/SMR type game is free to do so. The game ME also came from the idea of SM and is also coded in PHP as an opensource code. Copyright comes into play if someone has your code and copies it to make it their own or just uses it without your permission. There is a different between copying an idea and copying someones written work.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

A little more than the idea was copied, but that's not what this is about and lets not go down that route, all we want is access to the workings of the game, not the databse strings or access to the entire scripting, just the essential workings of the game play.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

Similar to Baalz, I'm rather indifferent too. I don't need the code, esp not full code, but a comprehensive list of formulae and/or other game mechanics would be a huge plus as I could lay off Page when trying to figure out why's something not working properly or at least not wait for him to show online or answer me (not that he's rarely online, far from that, but he can't be there 24/7 neither is that expected).

The issue of trust seems to be rolling around beta team for a while now. On one side, it's pretty understandable why would Spock and/or Azool choose not to trust any of us, we are only random people from the internet, but on the other side our time and effort invested into fixing, testing, manual writing etc. should speak for ourselves.

I won't comment anything else said on this thread, except that if some of these people with programming abilities would find things getting done faster with the code, or parts of it, I say please give it to them. We're far behind any schedule ever made for this game and at this stage our job is still far from end.
Use The Force(s)!
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

I personally dont need the code as i dont know what i could do with it, however i do believe that it would be nice to have a second coder to help out, not to say that page is doing a bad job at all, because he is doing a great job, but he is only one man and can only be on so much especially with school, a second coder would get us to the point at which id say we can implement all these ideas we want and to start to advertise the game on the open market and get back to prosperitiy in numbers like we had before my time.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

Well, I think that is a very bad argument. I can make a perfect trade calculator by recording my bargaining. It may take a while, but I'll figure out the formula. With the same argument we could delete MGU: in the old days everyone was personally responsible for searching out a good route, without a convenient mapping program that does it with a mouse click.

Besides, a trade calc is near to useless, because you just can't get full xp or cash as long as relations aren't optimal.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

You can get full exp when relations aren't maxed, it's just the amount you need to change it by varies with every trade (because the relations vary), it also depends on at least a few variables so would take a lot of effort for every trade (I'm sure some people would be willing to put the effort in, but I would just stick with rough bargaining)
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

One more example of something I got completely wrong, because the documentation is incomplete and I don't know the code.
MrSpock
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by MrSpock »

Hi,

i read the whole thing. I need a day to think about it and talk to zool.

SPOCK
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your trader will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the creator of SMR.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

MrSpock wrote:Hi,

i read the whole thing. I need a day to think about it and talk to zool.

SPOCK
Thanks S, I respect the fact you will take some time to think about this.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Umm from what I see you gave Sterling the code, who is announcing this in globals and insinuatuing he will make his "own"

* From: ^^^Sterling (163) 11/7/2008 10:11:04 PM Ignore Player [Report this message to an admin]
OMG I MAY GET BANNE DIN SMR! OMG OMG OMG! I can make my own SMR game. I actually already have it!

I hope this is just his miss spent youth talking and you didn't actually give him the entire game?