Ships

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: Ships

Post by Edgecrusher »

Well, i still don't agree.

Could the DC take a top racial? Certainly. I have killed quite a few MS's in a carapace, let alone in a DC. the reason it is not possible anymore, and I keep stressing this cause no one seems to take notice, is that mines are completely screwed because single mines no longer work. Using single mines that work I can kill anything in a DC, or at least I could in SMR 1.0 and in the first SMR 1.5 game.

The other reason for using jumpers is the galaxy setup. With Alskant being the center galaxy that allows you to jump almost anywhere, any hunter would go good instead of evil. In fact, jumping is the only way I can get to a distant kill fast enough because hunting, as I see it, is completely screwed.

I strongly disagree with your suggestions, because you are totally turning around Blade's arguments when he started this thread. Turn the FU into a hunter? The point was that evil ships should be hunters. If you reject that idea, fine by me, but please support that with arguments so we can discuss it. Everything Blade and I suggested is based on this notion.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Infinity wrote:Well, coding wise, it's the same as utility ship which is already in the code, so for simplicity of implementation we could stick to what's already there. But you can always call it differently in the ship list. Good point for LS.
Actually there is no code for the utility class - it has no effect because it's completely missing from the checks.
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

I'm only suggesting FU as a hunter cause there was a huge movement on giving good people a hunter, nothing else. Say I'm accepting a compromise.

MS is not a top racial anymore... Swarm is. Size (defense) difference is huge between those ships now.

As for singles, I agree. Ofc. I have trouble stopping people as well. Gotta lay 50s everywhere.
Use The Force(s)!
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

If everyone agrees on bringing back the effect of single mines, then can we agree to put it back into the game asap?
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

What was the formula before, number_mines/number_exits = chance to hit ?
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

No, there was no chance to hit, or if you wish chance to hit is a constant 100%
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

Chance to hit was 100% always, only number of mines that hit would depend on number of exits.
Use The Force(s)!
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Correct number of mine ver number of exits. This is from a Speef doc and I think Spock and Azool used this in the old SMR.
1 sector exit: all mines attack.
2 sector exits: all mines attack.
3 sector exits: half mines attack.
4 sector exits: half mines attack.

If you have fewer mines in sector than exits, there is a numMines in numExits chance of hitting one mine. So, if there is one mine in sector and 4 exits, there is a 1 in 4 chance of actually hitting that mine. If you miss the mine, you do not lose turns nor open a combat screen. You do, however, go to current sector and won't have moved. 3 mines with 4 exits means a 3 in 4 chance of hitting 1 mine.
But I have to say that every few times did I never miss a single mine, I hit it just about everytime.
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

Oh, you got it wrong, you get the attack screen every time, but you don't bypass the mine like now, but "the mine fails to hit", so if you don't have weps on board mine stays but disrupts your movement, however if you have weps you kill the mine.
Use The Force(s)!