SM had it capped to 1 level 5, I think we need to revert to this, but just + 1
So capped to

2 level 5
3 level 4
4 level 3
5 level 2
6 level 1

Raider type weapons are uncapped.

The hunter advantage should stay, people need more choice, this game is too green because the FA was godly, the FA should be a raider not used for hunting.

This game needs more depth to get people back now, it’s killed it’s self to much to say just fixing a couple of bugs will bring back the players. IT wont, we need to make 1.5 bold and new again, if not might as well go back to Old SMR and gain 30 old players back and play with a 60 player database.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Swagman
Quiet One

Re: Weapons

Post by Swagman »

Blade,

I quite like the idea of some kind of capping (but I also like that it's open to everybody to decide if they want 5 lvl 5's or to have 15 high acc lvl 2's), but perhaps if there was a cap perhaps we shouldn't the lvl 4 and 5 EMP, as it's supposed to be a defensive mechanism, and they do very little actual damage.

Can you cast you mind back to the days when in SM weapons were free for all, and tell us the reasons that this was dropped as a game mechanic ?, it may allow us to understand why the general capping of weapons is a better idea than how it is now ?
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

Honestly, I don't really like the idea of capping the weapons. In order to be able to carry a bunch of level 4 and 5s, you need to upgrade your ship power quite a bit, taking away from upgrading other parts of the ship (ie defense). Yes, there is a pretty good balance to be found, but at the same time, I think that capping weapons makes it a bit more unbalanced. Capping the weapon max means that fights will go on much longer. Taking down a /34 right now and taking down a /34 with capped weapons would be a drastic difference in time and number of shots. I think that because of the high potential of defense, you need to have a high potential of offense as well.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Taking down a /34 with standing setup's takes 2 or 3 shots my /19 PSF was taken in 1 hit, the reason why we stopped ships in SM flying with 5 HHG's or 4 HHG and 3 Nuke is because combat became boring and obvious, the cap brought in a variance to combat as people had to choose their setups.

This sits along side accuracy being to high, as a Spooky sat with all level 5 weapons is 100% cap the levels r decrease weapons, either way the current standing is not correct.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
DWill
Admin Emeritus

Post by DWill »

I do prefer a weapons cap as well, because in my eyes it makes you use more of a variety of weapons to maximize your set up. Otherwise you just go to one or shops and get all of the same. Its kind of ironic that by giving players more options we actually decrease the overall variety of setups :\ (although this is just a theoretical opinion, I honestly haven't had time to see what most people use for their setups).

It also will get you moving around a bit more going to the different shops to arm, without killing your turns like the turn based system did.

Along with also making the setups less powerful.
-when there is a will there is a way
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Well at least in my alliance the majority of us use level 2-3's, possibly with a 4 thrown in, the only exception that I know of is warrior who is spooky and uses lvl 4's I believe - but that is a good option for him atm because the level bonus to acc is still static and not dynamic. (And is also why he can do such insane damage with them against lower levels)

Therefore I don't feel there is any need for a cap - it's normally capped by the amount of power you can upgrade (and sacrifice other upgrade possibilities instead), and also the higher power guns are less accurate so are only used by the people who are able to use them.
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

I think the way weapons work at the moment is fine - actually it adds an aspect of depth to things, choice and an option of indiduality.

The issue is there are too many upgrade points available so ships are allowed to get too big.
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

But ship defense mostly corresponds to number of weapons and possible damage, with of course, the exception of those spookies flying around, which more or less brings us to square one - accuracy issue and formula that needs tweaking. Fights are fairly long... ok, Spooky can 2-shot a PSF, but I cant even with my 8 lvl4 weps (tho I'm a little crippled this round with weps, Nijarin was great choice in the first half of the round, but I lack guns now, well shield guns if nothing).
Use The Force(s)!
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

Well, I think we can solve Blade's problem not by capping, cause I also like the idea of people being able to choose, but having different power levels have a different effect on how much sc is used. Say, a level 5 weapon uses 0.8 sc, a level 4 weapon uses 0.5, a level 3 weapon uses 0.3, a level 2 uses 0.2 and a level 1 uses 0.1 sc. Then a level 2 and a level 3 would use 5 power but cost 0.5 sc per shot, but a level 5 would also use 5 power and use 0.8 sc per shot.
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

i like it.