A hunter's advantage

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: A hunter's advantage

Post by Freon22 »

Ok I am now in the game and will finish this round out playing solo. The next round I will also play and will join an alliance. But keep in mind I do play in beta offen.
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

Moving back to the topic

What if the stat points were not just random stats that you recieve and can put wherever, and instead were tied more to your race?

Thev hunters would get points put into Mechanics or Sensors
WQ would get points put into Stealth
Human would get points put into cheaper forces
Nij would get points into acc
Salvene would get points into Shield Regen
Ikky would get points in cheaper forces
Creonti would get points in weapon damage
Alskant wouldn't get anything because they are not hunters, and it would be ridiculous to hunt as alskant. But for continuity, I guess they would get either Acc or Sensors

I'm no hunter, so I don't know how useful this is, or whatever...just figured it would be an option.
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

I really like your idea, Baalz. I'd like it even better if the stats gained would be a percentage of a player's minimum racial stats.

For example, a thevian would have 200 maneuverability, 300 mechanics and 100 sensor stats.

A kill would give 1/100 of the minimum points, so 2 maneuverability, 3 mechanics and 1 sensor per kill. With a total of 6 this is more than the 5 I proposed, but because a player cannot concentrate the points on for example accuracy, there would be no huge effect, only a strengthening of racial characteristics.
Last edited by Edgecrusher on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

i wouldn't mind that so much...
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Baalzamon wrote:Human would get points put into cheaper forces
Ikky would get points in cheaper forces
These would need to be different or for forces to be a LOT more expensive and money a lot harder to get.
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

i like edge's idea more then my original idea.
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

Right. When we put it in? :)
Use The Force(s)!
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Amount of stats you get should depend on size of ship(killed ship)/experience of other person. A hunt should be able quality not quantity.

My only concern is where does it stop. Defintely needs to be a cap in place..

PS - I always thought stats were meant to be things which you could gain in game as part of your role playing choice. Choosing a role by playing the game rather than choosing a role at the very start of the game on the first screen before you know anything about the game..I think every thing should shift in this direction. Trading, busting and mining should allow for similar points gains for performing benchmarks in each skill..I was incredibly dissapointed when i eventually found out how little i got to do with my stats.
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

Well, I agree with you, kah, which is one of the reasons behind my original post. Assigning stat points yourself is much more consistent with the role playing part to the game. But role playing only works if there are enough variables in the game, and if there is a great level of dependency between these variables. Right now, we only have hunting, for which accuracy is the main variable, and trading, for which profit and xp are the variables. Excavation will have another variable, but all in all it's not many variables.

That's why I like the idea of Baalz and myself even better: it strengthens a role playing choice (that of race) that is otherwise not very apparent in the game, and at the same time makes it more fun for hunters without really creating a huge benefit (as stat points are spread out).

I agree with you that the quality of the kill should matter, but because the amount of stat points you gain is very small I think the rounding off effect would be too large in any formula we could propose. Once we have a ranking system in place, we can connect this to a minimum ranking (you gain no stat points for killing noobs), but until then I don't think we can find a good implementation of quality kills having more effect.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

How it stands there are no hunters in this game, because at this time exp means everything , unless you have lots of it you are basically useless, back in the day 20k was more than enough exp to hunt, in this game you need 200k at the very least and even then a 200k ship would be blown to bits without even thinking about it by a 500k ship unless flown by a complete numpty.

I like the stats idea, works for me but Alskant need to have some decent bonuses, as they have been the numpty race for too long,
The truth is there, just don't look blindly