Time line for next game?

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Blade
Admin Emeritus

Re: Time line for next game?

Post by Blade »

Kahless_ wrote:The vets who are leaving arnt going to stay just because a new round starts. They are leaving cause they don't enjoy the actual game anymore and are smart enough to realise that every time a new round starts it effectively the same game.
Smart enough, no that's not really a nice thing to say, we are actively changing things, infact next game I see a big change. Most of your comments have been very negative as of late Kah, I know you dont play and obviously do not like the direction, but remember, we all have views, and while those might differ we try and give positive input to a negative thought.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Page hit the nail on the head in another thread. He said if he had've known how much needed to be implemented, he wouldn't have wanted to launch. It was a gamble to launch the game in an un-ready state and i'm sorry but it has failed.

There was too much not ready, sort of a head strong push by a few people to get the thing out there and probably a community that was mislead (was a rather poor distinction between features that were in the game and feautres that were on a wishlist(these wishlist features got a few people to vote for the beta testing methinks)).

Not saying we should roll back cause that won't solve anything, we missed our window on that one which was open after the first round of beta and has since slammed shut. Truely think the best thing for the game now would be to drop offline for a while, get the features that might make it a good game up and going and then relaunch and hope for some of the hype that we had for the first launch of 1.5.

And yes i'm being quite negative, but i think that fits with the fact that the game is dieing..and that ;) me off..This game is diseased. At the moment i could lie and say "Dont worry, everythings going to be just fine", but last time i did that i ended up looking like an ass when some kids dog died of cancer, even though i said it would be fine..

And to be hosest, i think the fact that i dont play actually makes me more useful to the development process..I get to put game development ahead of my own personal enjoyment..Some folks could learn about that.

Launching a new round, semi or otherwise is merely the equivalent of putting a new battery in a car thats alternator has died. Starts and runs for a day and then is kaput.

But yea, so feel free to ignore it all, if it makes you feel better, "Everythings going to be fine"...Maybe prayer would help..
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

I to was not playing SMR and got tired of players telling me to shut up because I was not playing. So now I am playing and my thoughts have not changed, I also voted NO on launching SMR 1.5. Because in my opinion it was no where close to being ready for live game play. But again I was out voted and smr 1.5 was put into live. While I do not beleve turning back to smr 1.0 would be the right move I don't think shuting down the game is the right move either.

What the beta team should be working on full time right now is balancing what is already in the game. Not adding new un-blanaced things, what happened to balancing these super ships, or balancing planets (or finishing the planets), or balancing weapons, or balancing exper gains, or balancing accuracy, or balancing all gagets, or balancing money. Yelp I heard it before there not to much money in the game. If thats true then where does these allainces gets all this money for mining? balancing SC, or balancing " guess I can stop on the balancing thing because everything needs to be balanced before you can start adding new items.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

I spoke out about releasing 1.5 straight away and got shunned
Blade wrote:
Azool wrote:
Edgecrusher wrote:Is there any chance we can keep a copy of the old game running besides the new one?
Not for the foreseeable future barring major problems with the code. After time if we have the player base to support it then yes we could.
but can you on your own really handle the in game bugs that will be produced once live, and still have a productive game?
It was never a problem with beta, and it was never a problem when Spock and I made the original. I don't see it being a problem now
Azool, this was my concerns, we are testing a beta game but most of us fly blind with very little info, even less bugs/loopholes fixed and the game is highly unbalanced.

But we cant go back now, though I admit 1 more game would be nice on the old code while we sort out this mess
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Well if we are not going to shut the game down to make changes, can we see big changes being put in when they are ready, rather than when the players are ready. Balance things, how MR affects things, how XP affects things, cash from trading, xp from trading, the cost of forces.

I get sick of the "We can't change a major balance thing because that might mess up work that my alliance has done, thats not fair" - newsflash - it is fair cause this is beta.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

I agree 100% your post Kahless. Balance is what I have been calling for from the begaining.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Kahless_ wrote:Well if we are not going to shut the game down to make changes, can we see big changes being put in when they are ready, rather than when the players are ready. Balance things, how MR affects things, how XP affects things, cash from trading, xp from trading, the cost of forces.

I get sick of the "We can't change a major balance thing because that might mess up work that my alliance has done, thats not fair" - newsflash - it is fair cause this is beta.
agreed and if any beta does not see this point let me know and ill gladly relieve u, as we are here to improve the game, alliances are left at the door :)
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

We should rename this thread "Identity crisis". Yes, some people argued against launching the game, Blade and myself being the foremost, at least on the webboard. But it's too late to argue about it now.

Shut down the game to fix thingd first? Yes, good idea, if you would have a full time coder. Page is busy, and having seen part of the code and what mess it is in, I am surprised that he gets as much done as he does. In another thread I argued for having a second coder or giving the code available to the beta team, cause I think that would significantly speed things up.

We can all argue about the course the game should take, but in fact it is not in our hands, but in Spock's. So I'd say: stop shouting at each other.
Last edited by Edgecrusher on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Kahless_ wrote:Well if we are not going to shut the game down to make changes, can we see big changes being put in when they are ready, rather than when the players are ready. Balance things, how MR affects things, how XP affects things, cash from trading, xp from trading, the cost of forces.

I agree, I never did understand why fixes cant be live, this is why the game is progressing so slow.