Next round map

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Next round map

Post by Infinity »

From what we've talked in beta chat room, we could use Iggy's Type B map that got voted for prior to this round. As I've realized, most have agreed to this. However there are some inconsistencies in what should and shouldn't go in, so I'll try to gather all opinions here so we can make a final decision.

Map layout is visible here: http://images.redial.net/smrnextroundgalaxymappic3.jpg

Some thoughts on size::

15:59] <@Kiky> 8 racials is 3200 sectors
[15:59] <@Kiky> 20x20
[15:59] <@Kiky> as there's no point in them being smaller
[15:59] <@Kiky> 8 planet galaxies... smaller ones, with 12ish planets if alliance cap is 15
[15:59] <@Kiky> so I'd say not bigger than 8x8
[16:00] <@Kiky> which is another 512 sectors
[16:00] <@Kiky> so that's 3700
[16:00] <@Kiky> and 2 neutrals
[16:01] <@Kiky> neutrals have to be bigger, to ensure enough trading routes
[16:01] <@Kiky> so 25x30?
[16:01] <@Kiky> or 30x30
[16:01] <@Kiky> or something in between
[16:03] <@Kiky> that's about 5k sectors

Some of us suggested corridors between planet and neutral galaxies, that can be mined, so that planet galaxies have necessary protection while keeping neutral galaxies without mines. Tho, Edge is against it:

16:06] <@Edgecrusher> well, I'm against that
[16:06] <@Edgecrusher> no need for corridors if you can mine them

I believe there would be a set of rules for forces (esp mines) expiry time in neutral galaxies, which we need defined before map creation.

And... oh, 2 warps instead of one from planet to neutral galaxies would be a fine change, Edge suggested it, I'm for it too, I think some other people from beta team mentioned it as a good thing.

If I remember anything else, I'll post, other than that - you post :)
Use The Force(s)!
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Re: Next round map

Post by Blade »

I think the alliance cap will have lots to do with how we plan the next map, so I would say wait until the vote has finished and it's been decided?
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

we could use Iggy's Type B map that got voted for prior to this round
Use The Force(s)!
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

Where in this layout would the CA's be? I'd suggest two in each neutral.

The second planet galaxy exit has two options: to a racial, which has the disadvantage that it will be easy to hunt from a planet galaxy (but I would still hunt from a neutral, because it has access to 4 racials), or to the other neutral. I think the former would be a nice experiment, although the latter intuitively makes more sense.
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

the first would overpower mining. Anyone with <5kills can just buy mines from HQs rather then having to get to the CAs. It could also potentially screw people up who don't know how to use scanners, and plots could go through a planet galaxy from a racial, and if its a newbie, they'll hit the planet galaxy and the mines and die and never be able to figure out how to get around it.

Just don't think that'd be a smart decision.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Baalzamon wrote:the first would overpower mining. Anyone with <5kills can just buy mines from HQs rather then having to get to the CAs. It could also potentially screw people up who don't know how to use scanners, and plots could go through a planet galaxy from a racial, and if its a newbie, they'll hit the planet galaxy and the mines and die and never be able to figure out how to get around it.

Just don't think that'd be a smart decision.
where u talking about, and the mines from hqs shouldnt happen anymore, it should be dangerous to get mines, if not then people who dont scan are lookin for a pod, so its either a danger to get mines or a danger not to scan, one or the other
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

I think he's talking about planet galaxies having one warp leading to racials. I'm against, those should be far apart.
Use The Force(s)!
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

ya no planet gal to racial warps, that is a bad bad idea and dangerous to traders
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

Well, as I said: I'm not sure it would be a good idea either, just thought it would be something different for once.

As to the argument that it is noob-unfriendly: I heard that argument more often lately, and it annoys me. If newbies are so stupid as to not use a scanner, then we need to train them, not create a retarded version of the universe in which anyone with an internet browser can survive.
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

then we come around to the part of the circle where someone says "Well then its the vets' responsibility to train the newbies"

I'm not getting into that argument right now, and I don't think anyone here really wants to either. Fact of the matter is racial-planet warps are not a good idea, which seems to be something we all agree on, so lets drop it.