Mines solutions suggestions - list

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Re: Mines solutions suggestions - list

Post by JettJackson »

i was thinking of a restriction like this, maybe a max of mines laid per day by an alliance
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

I think there is already a max mines per day restriction..it is #of miners * days turns...

I'm about to sound like loty, but here goes..

The idea to limit the amount of mines an alliance can drop each day is just another example of taking control away from the players. There is a really really simple option for people who think mines are a problem. You see, there is this magic thing where when you take your ship and RAM IT INTO MINES RHAHAHAA..they go away =) Magic. And then it costs money and turns to replace them. Now a smart alliance can cripple another alliance if they have 1 or 2 ships that just clear every day. I used to kill 100mill in forces a day when i was bored in 1.0. Just get a DM and crash into them..Pretty soon, alliances dont have mines everywhere cause they cant afford it.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Mines dont just hurt alliances Kah, it hurts the game when used in excess, new players cant do simple things like explore, get ships outside racial or even trade the crappy routes in neutrals.

As beta testers you need to also think outside the box and think about the game as a whole new players, old players dumb players and smart players
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Kahless_ wrote:Pretty soon, alliances dont have mines everywhere cause they cant afford it.
Singles however are another matter, I see them as more of a problem especially because they're easily laid everywhere, cheap, but still waste 3 turns which really hurts..
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

id say then that if its singles,
1 turn mines up to 10
2 turns mines up to 30
3 turns mines over 30
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

Yeah, we had that suggestion a while ago... only thing is... are we using turns? Or something else?
Use The Force(s)!
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Infinity wrote:Yeah, we had that suggestion a while ago... only thing is... are we using turns? Or something else?
Defintely something that needs to be figured out before to many other decisions are made. You all know which of the 2 options (turns or something else) i choose =)

But onto mines. It seems clear to me that the solution of mines, if we deem them a problem, is a multifrontal one. It will take a combination of balancing how many turns a stack(or single) mine should use, how long forces last and whether this is altered by the presence of mines (perhaps passive forces last longer than agressive forces(ie cd's + scout = passive, mines = agressive)) BUT i do not think that we should ever put a limit on how many mines can be deployed.

We should examine ways to make it a large undertaking to mass mine a neutral. But, i dont think this should be done by raising the price of forces or anything like that, cause they are expensive enough during times of war, just they arnt expensive enough during times of peace if you know what i mean =)

I do think that the way to control mines will come down to altering expiry times of mines in neutrals(not planet) and racials.

It goes back to the idea of a single being a hunting/trading and OP messing tool, so a single should only last 1 hour in a racial or neutral(not planet).

Other than that, larger stacks of mines, possibly stacks of mines in racials and neutrals should last half as long as stacks in planet gals(maybe a bit more than half, but you get the idea). This way, maintaing a minfield in neutrals is not impossible, but it is difficult and you as an alliance leader have to seriously weigh the pro's and con's.

But yea, i think limiting the number of forces is bad. Let the gameplay limit the number of forces your alliance can maintain.
Blade wrote: As beta testers you need to also think outside the box and think about the game as a whole new players, old players dumb players and smart players
I would disagree with one part of this. I dont think we should be catering for dumb players =) Its the average players we need to look after. The smart players will take care of themselves and the dumb players should become atleast average or maybe using the internet isnt for them and they should go back to mastering sticks as tools.. =)