Mines solutions suggestions - list

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Blade
Admin Emeritus

Re: Mines solutions suggestions - list

Post by Blade »

Infinity wrote:Blade, cautious trader never comes out to trade when I'm on CPL, I can set a trap within seconds, but what's it worth if the dude won't come out for another hour?! I've waited more than one trader this round like that, for 2-3 hrs, and yes I did get them after those 2-3 hrs, otherwise I wouldn't as they wouldn't move. And I wouldn't if I had no mines there most likely, as I can't pull out 2 shots per second.
Kiky honestly I dont need any lesson on how to hunt or the finer arts, people wont log on an move when you have 700 zillion exp, your not a hunter in my eyes and I am sure Edge will agree, you havn't honestly "hunted" yet, you have still a lot to learn. If you need 3-4 hours to set a trap then you need to go back to the drawing board, most of the good hunters kill in minutes, waiting off CPL for hours apon end isn't a skill, just a test of patience.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

Ok, whatever. Not like I have xp all round. On the contrary, but you're right, you're always right, I'm gonna crawl back into my n00b hole now.

Just put these in, whatever and however Blade says is right. Just put them in.
Use The Force(s)!
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

No I am not always right, trading I am the last person to input in, it's why I have not been involved, because simply I dont trade, but these last 2 games specially I have taken a lot of time away from "playing" and observing combat, hunting and ships, hunting is all I have done since day one of playing 10 years ago, it's why last round I flew most of the fighting ships, and used numerous weapon setups, racials do not need anymore than an hour max on mine timers 24 hours on scouts, if your hunting a careful trader and they really are that careful, your trap you setup 3 hours ago will not catch them any better than a quick swoop, as they will see this trap and know you have set it.

I have had ideas and input here that I have been wrong about, my first idea on mines, though interesting was just not feasable, I think some of us need to stop throwing our toys out of the pram when someone disagree's with what your saying, take it in, and learn from what people say. I never called you a newbie.
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Haha - i'm on kiky's side about the hunting part =)

Setting traps several hours in advance is often the only way to trick a good trader (well it was before trading got so rediculously easy =) )

Though having said that, the extent of setting such traps was merely being in the perfect position to lay the mines as soon as trader moved, not actually laying them hours before =) So that means no need for more than an hour on mines in racials.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

I am pretty sure we are talking planning, not several hours to lay mines, but regardless racials are where the new players mostly venture so I would have to stick with 1 hour for anything with mines 1-150
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Oh yea, i'm talking planning. If your mining everywhere in a racial hours before hand, smart traders gonna high tail it outta there.

Mines are only truely useful as a "door closer" to trap traders outside so the planning is to put yourself in a position to close that door.

So yea, 1 hour.

BUT i know you've mentioned it aswell, we just have to make sure that scout times are seperate to these mine expiry times. Atleast 24 hours for scouts. Bring back the real hunters by letting people studying trading habits. Will make game more exciting for traders and hunters.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Then yes, you have to hunt the trader and to do that you have to know what he does, when he does it, even knowing what the player will do when spooked, but I will say that as I was on about the expriry time, Kiky was meaning laying the trap several hours before the trader comes online meaning laying down the mines before hand. if this was not the point then I am not sure why it was brought up when I mentioned expiry time of mines ? :)

But 100% agreement Kah, a hunter plans his attack, think wires got crossed
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Yea - i misread a post and spent the last couple of posts trying to cover up my retardation :D
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

What happens to me is that my target comes online several hrs before his repairs are out. He lurks, I lurk and so on. Knowing my target's habits I'll set a trap 2-3 hrs before his reps are gone (as knowing my target I know when will that be) on a certain port or passage. Then I have to miss all the pings I get in the mean time so it seems as I'm really, really, very, very offline so that my target WILL go out to trade. Otherwise, if I pop CPL within an hour... no deal. Not to mention I can't get insane shooting speed and that all those bozos have flee...

If that doesn't make sense.... then, sure, I have no idea what I'm doing.

I wasn't talking about mining half of racial space or anything similar to that. I'm talking 2 sectors here, or one with a full stack and surrounding with singles. I know I had the minefield, but I don't just dump 50s everywhere, trips to CA are annoying and costly. Also, I'm not talking "chase", but "waiting".
Use The Force(s)!
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

I think something a lot of people saying about 1 scout should last 1 day have failed to notice and which I'm pretty sure was in the changelog for this round is that a stack of just scouts has 20% of the expiry time for each scout (with 100% when you have 5 or more). This is largely to help the ships with more scouts be more easily able to hunt than ships with less scouts - since any scoutless ship otherwise can put just a few upgrades into scouts and make a couple more CA runs negating any benefit of ships with lots of scouts.