Upgrades

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Blade
Admin Emeritus

Upgrades

Post by Blade »

Each ship starts with certain stats, some have scouts some dont, some have mines some dont.

I think you should only be able to upgrade what the ship already has, so if a ship has no CD's your unable to add them, if the ship is scoutless you cant add scouts and same for mines, all fed ships should have scouts but not mines, the only fed ship that should carry mines if the FW the federal hunt class ship.

My 2 pence
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Page
SMR Coder

Re: Upgrades

Post by Page »

Originally tried to do it as just a % so ships starting with none of something could never get any, however the problem was that it meant either making upgrades have almost no effect at all, or have a huge effect for anything that was heavy in one area (Prometheues with 1000+ mines, swarm CDs, PSF cargo, etc). Hence part of the upgrade is done by a % of starting stat and part is a fixed increase.

Basically it just doesn't work out without the two parts, at least not when we were trying to balance it. However if you can find some numbers that can work it's a possibility.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Leave the % as it is, but just dont allow them to add anything if starting count is 0?
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

I agree with blade. Need to remove the static part of the upgrade and then we just have to look at capping the numbers thrown out by the % formula, tweak it up a bit, so your low upgrades still do something, but cap the amount that the high upgrades can be.
canff
Beta Tester

Post by canff »

I know with the way page has it now.. it really hurts to add scouts to a ship that has none...i think the max for 0 to start is 2 at a time....so 5 up grades just to get 10 scouts.... and 10 is nothing....
Mines are base of 5 for each upgrade...
Cd's I don't know off hand...

But what i am getting at is if a ship has 0 of someting max it at 1 for the next upgrade...so if you really want some you have to pay a lot....
10 upgrades cost a lot of money for 10 scouts...
You won't see every ship with 50 cd's like you can now...

Easy fix cap upgrades for 0 base to 1 per upgrade.....
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

My point to this was that when the ships where designed, some had bonuses, being scouts, mines or both, certain ships should not have scouts, and certain ships should not have mines. Even a base of 5 mines gives the change to add 30 mines for next to no points if we allow to upgrade a ship that started with 0 mines.
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

Well, I completely agree with Blade, but if we remove the power of upgrading your ship, then why would we keep in upgrading at all? Theoretically, if I have a 2000 ship size hunter, shouldn't I be just as succesful in killing a ship size 2000 psf as if we both had a ship size of 0? If so, then why bother upgrading at all? In a sense it only pollutes the 'carreer' strategy, because having to upgrade forces hunters and traders alike to excavate. For traders this is not a big bummer, because they already have the holds, but hunters need to switch ships (and upgrades) to be able to excavate.

Removing the possibility to upgrade also helps against other problems in the game, like that there is too much money. If your psf has the old 600 holds instead of 1200, that significantly reduces the amount of money. However, I think removing the upgrade system entirely would be like taking candy from a happy child. So we'd have to think of something else. I can think up some things, but please try to shoot down my idea of removing upgrades first.