Trading Damge

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Trading Damge

Post by Kahless_ »

Just curious, was fiddling in beta and i was wondering what variables come into play for calculating the random damage that is done to a ship at port, also i guess the general amount done when trading too. I'm basing this of only 100 trades (50 in a ship with 40 holds, 50 in one with 1000 holds, so its a limited data set)

Does ship size, ship class, #holds, experience, SC, ship speed, manuverablity come into it or is it just a static random number?

The answer to the above question will determine whether or not you should bother reading next bit. If the answer is "No it doesnt include any of those", read on =) If it does, ignore the ramblings :D

I was just thinking, to encourage a bit more variety in ship choice, might be interesting to include some of these factors.

Biggest ones would be for mind:
- ship class (trader ships have better docking procedures than say a raider, so less likely to take damage),
- #holds (more cargo being loaded, more chance of damage)
- possibly ship size. I'm not sure how ship size works in a "physical" sense (in terms of if it wasa real space ship, does adding ship size make it physically bigger?). Although ship size could be left out in place of manuverability
- manuverability - more manuverable your ship is, less likely to take damage "manuvering"..as ship size affects manuv now, might be easier just to use manuv instead of worry about ship size.

Just something i was thinking, with movement being such a neglibile amount of SC (0.2 now is obviously more, but still less than the 1-2 (or even 5-7) for a trade. So basically it is encouraging people to get as many holds on their ship as possible, get their trades done in the fewest number possible. Might be cool if we could bring back some kind of benefit for using a small trade ship.
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: Trading Damge

Post by Infinity »

Does ship size, ship class, #holds, experience, SC, ship speed, manuverablity come into it or is it just a static random number?
None of the above (tho I still read everything you wrote further), only thing that does affect is past repairs, but I'm not actually sure about that either (Page, enlighten us, please).
So basically it is encouraging people to get as many holds on their ship as possible, get their trades done in the fewest number possible.
Well, safety, time one can spend playing probably play a bigger role in ship decision. And ofc if ya wanna jump or walk.
Might be cool if we could bring back some kind of benefit for using a small trade ship.
I like it :) Would the number of holds be the main parameter?
Use The Force(s)!
Page
SMR Coder

Re: Trading Damge

Post by Page »

Currently there's a point of exp at which it becomes more like to get damage if you're above, and less if you're below. Azool put it in first round to make it nicer to newbies.

That's the only modifier as it stands.