NPC kills should not give kill count

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Blade
Admin Emeritus

NPC kills should not give kill count

Post by Blade »

eems this was taken out once I think, but people are getting a kill count for killing NPC's?
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Page
SMR Coder

Re: NPC kills should not give kill count

Post by Page »

I think it was experience for them that was taken out, but definitely true that until NPCs fight back properly you shouldn't get kills for them.
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

Well, the dude from the mission fought back properly, I had to uno after every shot. But yeah, take them out.
Use The Force(s)!
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Heh - just returning fire doesn't really count as fighting back. I'm assuming Page means when they have the ability to move and engage you. Until then its not really a kill..Its just a low level port with a name...
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Kahless_ wrote:Heh - just returning fire doesn't really count as fighting back. I'm assuming Page means when they have the ability to move and engage you. Until then its not really a kill..Its just a low level port with a name...
Indeed, at the very least they should spam return fire to the death, that would be better than current. But hunting you back is the real aim :P
Unfortunately it may take a while to realise that, but I've got ideas on implementation brewing.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Page wrote:Indeed, at the very least they should spam return fire to the death, that would be better than current. But hunting you back is the real aim :P
Unfortunately it may take a while to realise that, but I've got ideas on implementation brewing.
Could you not use the page load event and a timer to call an attack function for the NPC. Having it attack players is a cool idea, other then just doing the auto-return fire.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Freon22 wrote:
Page wrote:Indeed, at the very least they should spam return fire to the death, that would be better than current. But hunting you back is the real aim :P
Could you not use the page load event and a timer to call an attack function for the NPC. Having it attack players is a cool idea, other then just doing the auto-return fire.
I assume you're talking about using javascript to do this? In which case that'd be horrible (I'd just turn my javascript off, as would anyone at all technical - but others would die horribly). I was more thinking just have a trigger on NPC keep looping till one is dead for the return fire spam.

But realistically it'd be nice if they moved around on their own and could hunt/trade and do their own thing (choosing to fed after X time like a person would)
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Yes I was think javascript which I agree is not the best. I assumed that SMR tested to see if javascript was enable on a few pages that for other reasons calls for it to be reloaded. Like the login page the user inputs userName passWord then page reloads and checks if user is who they say, checks javascript, if all checks ok send to select game page. The test I use is I use javascript to input a value into a hidden field. Then when the page reloads I check on the server side to see if javascript did input the value. If it did I know that javascript is enabled if not I send them back to the login page.

But severside is best no one can mess with anything, and a loop is a cool way. If someone attacks someone will die. LOL

You know javascript pretty good do you know of anyother way to test if javascript is enabled or not? Am working on a project that calls for javascript and if it is turned off the user has to be sent back to the login page.

Code: Select all

function javaScriptTest()
    {
        $get('JavaScriptHiddenField').value = "1";
    }

if (Page.IsPostBack)
        {
           string myJavascriptTest = JavaScriptHiddenField.Value;
           JscriptEnabled = (myJavascriptTest == "1") ? true : false;
        }        
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

I've never really bothered checking into whether javascript is enabled, I avoid having it as necessary because it can cause nasty things. Like when 1.5 was first released all turn updating was done in the AJAX calls and for those of us who default to javascript off (I use noscript) it meant no turns were regenerated, as a side effect of that it meant it was possible to get 115 repair credit everytime I hit play game link and went back into game (I didn't abuse it but I'm sure others may well have done).
Also you can't just have the check on the login page, you need it on every single page as javascript can be disabled at any time.

As a note on the checking if javascript is enabled the value would have to be different on every attempt otherwise it's very easy to just make a script to include the extra variable but still have javascript blocked (even with a random number it would be possible, just a lot harder).
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Even when they fight back they should be a seperate rank from player kills, so should have an NPC and player kill ranking system
The truth is there, just don't look blindly