Plot Course

Ask Page...

Moderators: JettJackson, Infinity, Page

Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Plot Course

Post by Baalzamon »

Another thing azool said he'd put in, and we had decided way back when is something that would be nice. A way to try to move from using MGU and helping those of us who can't use it anyway (ie Mac users)

Blade
Admin Emeritus

Re: Plot Course

Post by Blade »

My major beef with MGU and doing this even more so is you take the fun out of the alliance side of things, in your alliance you always had someone make up a draft of the map and have a locations site and this side of the game has gone. It made the alliance more interactive specially when we had closed maps as you had to hunt for locations.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

i am opposed to this, people need to do things on their own sometimes, doing this is just even makings easier honestly id take out the easy plots that are in now, not add more
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

I don't like this. I might be old school, but i like people to have to know about their surroundings.

I dont actually like the drop down box we currently have either, but i thoroughly doubt any of you will agree with me to get rid of that (I think when a user ranking system comes in people should have access to this when they are newbies/beginners but when they get more experienced it should go away.

People who know where things are have advantage over people who have no idea, but i'd like to see it have more of an affect. Yes, MGU means you dont have to know anything, but it takes time to look up in MGU.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Kahless_ wrote:I don't like this. I might be old school, but i like people to have to know about their surroundings.

I dont actually like the drop down box we currently have either, but i thoroughly doubt any of you will agree with me to get rid of that (I think when a user ranking system comes in people should have access to this when they are newbies/beginners but when they get more experienced it should go away.

People who know where things are have advantage over people who have no idea, but i'd like to see it have more of an affect. Yes, MGU means you dont have to know anything, but it takes time to look up in MGU.
i do agree the dropdown should go, but the newer players like it, so i cant fuss on that, but adding more things to it is just overkill
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

I pretty much agree with Kah even tho I sometimes have hard time with my alliance mates not knowing where things are and I'm a freak show when it comes to memorizing vast amounts of numbers. What I really miss are notes so I don't have zillion papers laying around my desk ...

However, one would think our ship's computers would be able to memorize some sectors and plot there...
Use The Force(s)!
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Well at the moment it means anyone who knows how to and can use MGU or LazyTrader can just use those to find where anything is, yes it takes a separate program but it's not really much harder. The only thing it does is make it harder for newer players to find things, or for silly people like Baalz who *could* run one of them but can't manage it.

Now what might be better is take away the quick plot drop down box, but add in the slower more specific plots, so it is still possible for anyone to find what they want without having to use a 3rd party program but so that it takes a bit longer to plot to, for instance, the nearest uno meaning that player will be vulnerable for a while whilst plotting so knowledge of the map would still be an advantage - especially if the location happens to be mined up.
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

If we can make it take longer, like say if your plotting to an uno.

"Plot -> Button "Find Location" -> Drop down "Uno" -> Page listing all uno's (from nearest to furthest), click one you want -> Confirm Plot -> Move" would atleast be better.

It should take time for your "space computer" to find the location :D

Could always make it a toggleable feature - can turn it on or off once a day. While its on it costs slightly more SC to move to reflect the extra energy being used by your facy ships computer tracking so many locations ;)
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Here is my opinion, I like Baalzamon idea, but with a few changes. I think SMR should do away with the "Download MGU Maps" link, there is no reason that SMR should support a 3th party program to play the game.

As far as the changes to Baalzamon idea is on the Weapons, Ships, Bars, Banks, and so on... mouseover foldout tree menu only display sites that you have visited. So if you have been to a shop that sells the level 5 Nuke when you place your mouse over the weapons links it will foldout to show the levels and if you run your mouse over the level 5 it will foldout to show the Nuke. This being the same for all locations, ships, uno, ca, and so on. Also just like always alliances can share maps which in this case is locations.
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Actually - building on what freon said there, but going in a slightly different direction...

Could it be possible that you go to a bar and ask the bar tender for information and that information takes the form of various locations to populate the new fandangled ship computer? Gives bars another purpose...

Oh and yea, i do agree with Freon that the dowload MGU maps button is a problem, but the problem is not it being there, the problem is that we all get 100% maps to start with. If we had to scout for our maps, then it serves as a leveler (taking the advantage away from people who have access to automappers).