How do I keep people from killing me when I log out?

Find answers to the most commonly asked questions. Only moderators may post on this forum.
Wonks
Quiet One

How do I keep people from killing me when I log out?

Post by Wonks »

In SMR, there are only 2 types of absolute protection: Newbie protection and Federal protection. Newbie turns will protect you no matter what. One of the biggest mistakes a new player can make is dropping their 500 turns worth of newbie protection. During newbie protection nothing can harm you so you can trade just about anywhere. But remember that when you use your last newbie turn you are vulnerable. If you die, you get 100 newbie turns, but you also lose your ship, any cash you had on you, and 1/4 to 1/3 of your experience.

The other type of absolute protection is federal protection. Remember those beacons of ultimate protection all around your race's HQ when you started? These indicate that federal protection is available in that sector. However, federal protection is limited. There are 2 conditions where federal forces will refuse to protect you: If you have illegal goods (slaves, weapons, or narcotics) on board you do NOT qualify for federal protection and can be attacked in a sector with a beacon. Also, your attack rating determines whether you qualify. At -149 to 149 alignment you can safely have 3/x as an attack rating. For each +/- 150 alignment above or below 0, you can have +/- 1 attack rating and still qualify (so 2/x for -150, 4/x for 150, etc). You are always protected at 0/x attack rating.

Your attack rating is listed on the right side of your screen under "Rating: ". The first number is your attack rating and is dependant on how much damage your weapons can do in 1 round of combat. The exact formula for attack rating is [ ( total shield damage + total armor damage ) / 40 ] The second number is your defense rating, or the amount of armor and shields you have divided by 100. Federal protection applies ONLY at a beacon of ultimate protection. If you are in doubt about whether you are protected, you can check in your "TRADER" menu under protection. There are always other places you can park, such as planets or in dead-end sectors, but they are never 100% safe.