Why use a planet?

Find answers to the most commonly asked questions. Only moderators may post on this forum.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Why use a planet?

Post by Blade »

This in it's self is a very good question, planets are a strategic part of the game, they offer you very limited protection but useful if you wish to log off with a offensive rating more than Federal beacons will allow to be safe.
But for planets to be a semi safe place they need to be maintained, patrolled and built on all the time. Also it is not wise to log off on a planet in the early stages of building because it will easily be picked off by solo passers by.

This is a very hard task to undertake alone so it is good to hold a planet in a dead end sector or many sectors away from heavy used ports and locations, specially Uno's and Combat Accessories. Being in an alliance would also be a plus.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Wonks
Quiet One

Do I need a planet? How do they work?

Post by Wonks »

Hehe, I've got some more to add that I already had on my message board, Blade.

Planets are used for parking warbirds mainly. Trade ships don't really need planets cause they can park in fed with complete protection without weapons. However, when you get a fighting ship, you will either have to buy and dump weapons and stay in fed, or build (or otherwise obtain) a nice planet. However, planets above level 20 are usually difficult to raid solo. But of course it depends on what is built on them.

Planets are not normally found in racial galaxies. The locations of galaxies with planets is different each game.

A planet has 3 types of buildings you can build. Each building takes cash, certain trade goods, and a set amount of time to finish building. Generators can hold 100 shields each (planetary shields take 1/5 damage from attacks) and take 3 hours each to build. The maximum generators on a planet is 100.

Hangars hold 20 combat drones each (each combat drone does 1 damage and all combat drones attack 1 ship) and take 6 hours to build. The maximum hangars on a planet is 100.

Turrets do 250 shield or armor damage each and take 18 hours each to build. The maximum turrets are 10. Turret accuracy is based on planet level. A level 0 planet starts with 25% accuracy and gains 1% with each level. A level 70 planet is the highest possible, so the maximum accuracy is 95%.

However, even with the maximum turrets a planet can't kill attackers easily. The hangars are what makes a planet truely deadly. The maximum amount of 2000 combat drones will kill all but the strongest of ships with a single hit. This is called a "deadly" planet, and it takes a long time to build. Many generators allow a planet to withstand attack for a long time. And full turrets will keep attackers running for more shields and armor, using their turns.

Planets are hard to take care of solo. You have to have trade goods and some money to build. And you have to keep a planet well stocked with shields and combat drones. And most of all, you have to protect them while they are building.