I have some money now. Should I get a better ship?

Find answers to the most commonly asked questions. Only moderators may post on this forum.
Wonks
Quiet One

I have some money now. Should I get a better ship?

Post by Wonks »

The Newbie Merchant Vessel (NMV) is a decent ship, but, of course, there are better ones for trading. Depending on what race you are and how much cash you have to spend a new ship might be a good idea.
But remember, NEVER to spend all your money. If you buy a new ship and get killed, you will have no money and no ship. There is a free trading ship available at each racial ship shop, but it's better to not have to fall back on these.

If you have only about 2 million to spare, each race has a ship sold at the HQ ship location that is OK for trading. These aren't the greatest ships but they are usually a step up from the NMV.

If you have around 5 mil to spare, a lot of players like the Inter-stellar Trader. This ship has 300 holds and a slot for a jump drive, but low defense. Because it has a jump drive, the IST is ideal for trading in other galaxies and then jumping back to fed space to park.

If you have around 10 mil to spare you could get a Planetary Super Freighter. This ship has 600 holds and a defense of /15, but it also gains turns very slowly at a turn rate of 4 per hour. A PSF is ideal for routes near fed space because you don't have to waste a lot of turns to get to them.

Another high-priced option is the thief. This ship is a smuggler's ship, meaning that only players with an alignment of -100 or lower can buy it. It costs about 18 mil and is the best cloaked trading ship with 12 speed and 150 holds. But remember that cloak is only useful with high level because it will not work on someone that is higher level than you.