AJAX no refreshing when non "active" window?

Archive of previous bugs that have since been fixed
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

AJAX no refreshing when non "active" window?

Post by RCK »

Anyone else notice that AJAX suddenly doesn't seem to refresh when smr isnt the active window? (ie your typing in irc, ajax isnt refreshing )
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: AJAX no refreshing when non "active" window?

Post by Freon22 »

I think I remember seeing some of the javascript code, that I downloaded. I believe he is using focus in the re-fresh so if the page loses focus it doesn't re-fresh.
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

It was never supposed to be refreshing when the window is out of focus, it's just that browsers are flawed and dont always follow instructions.
Use The Force(s)!
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

LOL, so the browsers finally fixed themselves? well thats unfortunate ;)
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

No, I think it was just Chrome that didn't work the same, although I did mostly test in FF back when I wrote the code, but it changed because I found an alternative method to make it work since it was loading the server a lot more than necessary (the AJAX does tax the server as it's the same as a full page load for the server). When I first wrote the AJAX there weren't all that many Chrome users, it was either still in beta or only just released a few days beforehand, so I never noticed it was behaving differently until Spock told me the server was working a lot harder than we'd expect it to.

As a point of reference since fixing this there have been anywhere from 100,000-200,000 less page loads to handle per day (mostly at the higher end of that range, or roughly 35-40% less work per day).
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

You fixed Safari too, just fyi.
Use The Force(s)!