Ports Upgrading Automatically

This is a place for Newbies to get help on anything they're not sure about. Don't be afraid to ask!
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Ports Upgrading Automatically

Post by N.ator »

I am just curious, are ports upgrading automatically, without traders trading them?

Because i have noticed a lot of ports upgrading without anyone trading them..
ImageImage
SpaceSock
Quiet One

Re: Ports Upgrading Automatically

Post by SpaceSock »

Ports have never upgraded without being traded in the past. Ive not heard anything new about ports upgrading randomly.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

They are probably being traded, just you may not necessarily have realised it. It's always possible the NPCs have been trading them.
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

I think it would actually be pretty cool if ports upgraded automatically too :)

Would create slightly more dynamic trading (although I think there are better ways to create dynamic trading) and would force alliances to occasionally do extra PBs to maintain long routes
Men are born to succeed, not fail.
-Henry David Thoreau
Incognito
Quiet One

Post by Incognito »

It is hard enough already for alliances to maintain long-distance trade routes. I don't think we need to make it any harder.
I+N+C+O+G+N+I+T+O=Not you

I took a calculated risk. Unfortunately, I am bad at math.
Meh
Quiet One

Post by Meh »

One of my favorite old school games is Civ 3, and strategic resource goods have a probability to be 'depleted', and then a new one be 'discovered' somewhere else.

I think it would be cool, say every week of game time, 10 to 20% of the ports in each galaxy would downgrade (losing 1 good), and then the same amount of different ports in those galaxies would randomly upgrade (gaining 1 good). Downgrading & upgrading would be mutually exclusive, so if 1 port downgraded, it also couldn't get upgraded in the same change that week.

Additionally, I think scouts on ports should report when a port upgrades or downgrades to the scout owner, and it would count as though the owner had visited the sector & witnessed the change. So the day before the change, it'd be a competition for alliances to have their hunters/traders put scouts on as many ports as possible, so they can have the new route info as soon as possible.

Note again, that not all ports would be changed on the weekly change.

You could even have different rates for different types of galaxies, for instance:
All racial galaxies, except Skants, would have a 20% change rate, so 20% would downgrade, and an additional 20% would upgrade (for a total of 40% change).
Skants would only have a 15% change rate each way.
Neutrals would be a 10% change rate each way.
Planet gals would be a 5% change.

This would give perks to those trading in a neutrals (less random change), and even more benefit/reason for an alliance to try and take a planet gal and build route(s).

Edit: and if that change is too much, then make it so planet gals have 0% change, so only by alliances upgrading/downgrading them will they change, and neutrals/skants would only have a 5% change, and everything else 10%.

Edit: Barring that, an 'Skant' racial perk to 'encourage' Skant peace would be that if a port is a Skant port (any Skant port in any galaxy), would be immune to the random upgrade/downgrade. So if you were looking to build a route in a neutral/planet gal and didn't want it randomly changing, then the ports would need to be claimed by Skants.
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

You already have this buy NPCs trading the ports, and it is done in natural, logical and not forced way.
Use The Force(s)!
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

yeah it must be npc's trading the ports then. because i swear every port i come across has a blue bar halfway up!
ImageImage
Meh
Quiet One

Post by Meh »

Infinity wrote:You already have this buy NPCs trading the ports, and it is done in natural, logical and not forced way.
The NPCs don't downgrade anything though.