On hauling of stuff

This is a place for Newbies to get help on anything they're not sure about. Don't be afraid to ask!
Jester

On hauling of stuff

Post by Jester »

How important is having a lot of cargo holds, and what's a lot? Traditionally I've been an Alskant (this only amounts to two games, but still, it counts), because I like their hauling capacity and I'm mostly a trader. But is having 120 or 150 enough to get some trading done? Should I switch over to a race with more versatility? :?
Palm Fronds

Post by Palm Fronds »

Cargo mixed with speed is muy importante - - - a nice amount is (in my opinion) around 300 in that IST - - - but, they are soon to be dead, so i like my PSFs-600 holds-(take a lot of damage and you can usually get away if its a single hunter)- but they are slow...ive never been alskant but the TM's are the best trading ships apparently. . . soo....NMV's are alright to start out with i guess, but then ISTs and PSFs are the way to go, unless youre alskant. Which im not =(
Wonks
Quiet One

Post by Wonks »

The formula for the exp you can potentially get in 1 trade is ((INT(Cargo Holds/30)) +1) x 2) x Distance. If math isn't your thing, basically that means the more holds you have the more exp you get per trade.

But you also have to concider that you normally have to use some extra turns traveling to and from your trade route, ect. Those extra turns cost a lot if you are in a slow ship. If you use 4 turns doing something besides trading, thats a whole hour's worth in a PSF. For most people, the ship they choose to trade in depends on their circumstances and where they trade.