Space Merchant Companion

This is a place for Newbies to get help on anything they're not sure about. Don't be afraid to ask!
Poke

Space Merchant Companion

Post by Poke »

Exact instructions would be nice...
I cant seem to figure out how to get it started and up and running.

THanks
Hellman109
Beta Tester

Post by Hellman109 »

You need to click on Game (top right) then New Game Universe. Add in all the galaxies and there sizes (get sizes off of the galaxy maps). Then add what you know into the game, map more of the game and add them in... you will need to be evil to see all the goods, also, half done maps (no port races, no exact store names) are all that good generally
All I heard was blah blah blah, Im a little whinger.
Wonks
Quiet One

Post by Wonks »

I made a small webpage to help people get started. It should have what you need. http://dccmn.com/sm/tools/SMChelp/SMChelp.html

If you have any more questions feel free to ask...
Poke

So it doesnt download the maps you have?

Post by Poke »

It wont download the maps you have when you hit galatic map?

ARg,
anyone already got this stuff entered where i can download it :)

It at least has the weapons and ships on there for me to look at :)

Thanks

Post by Guest »

Nope, SMC is completely seperate from SMR. I assume you want maps for NG4. I can't join NG4 so I can't make maps available for download unless someone gives them to me.

Azool has created a site that allows you to input information with others in your alliance or other allliances to create an SMC map. The URL is http://www.vjtd3.com/~azool/smr/login.php

Whether anyone will let you grab their maps, or are even completed with mapping the game, I have no idea...
Poke

WQ human map

Post by Poke »

I will trade maps with someone then..am working on the WQ human newbie game 4 map.
Poke

ARG!

Post by Poke »

I think i have screwed the pooch so to speak...didnt get the size of the non standard galaxies down, is there a way to go back and resize them?
Already finished the WQ map and found the route i was using was among the best anyhow... go figure... of course it does let you in on where other people are more likely to be trading and stalk there i guess for kills.

Any help will be appreciated
Wonks
Quiet One

Post by Wonks »

I think you can edit game.ini and manually change the galaxy sizes, but I would guess that will "corrupt" the data if you already have some entered. I assume it will but I never really tried it. You should probably backup game.ini and sectors.smc if you try. Rohan or Trib could probably tell you whether it would work or not and I know they would have more complicated suggestions if it doesnt...

Some routes are pretty obvious, others not so much so. And of course, guess who finds the obvious ones? EVERYBODY! :D
Trib
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Trib »

Sadly I have to report that you cannot just edit the game.ini file to increase the dimensions of the galaxies, yes this will indeed corrupt the database, sorry.

Which leaves the complicated solution (couldn't disappoint you Wonks) which would involve creating a new game universe with the correct size galaxies, then copying the right portion of your old sectors.smc file into the right portion of your new sectors.smc file using a hex editor. (heh, I said it was complicated, but it is the only way, sorry)

Though I could probably do this for you if you asked nicely enough (and sent me your original sectors.smc file (I have an correct game.ini file)
POke

Maps

Post by POke »

Dont spose you would just send me the newbie game 4 maps :)

I tried to change it and forgot to back it up as well...go figure...

Also is there a list of what shops sell what? I am looking for certain lasers or flux cannons ans stuff...

Thanks
8)