Relations, Alignment, and War

This is a place for Newbies to get help on anything they're not sure about. Don't be afraid to ask!
jtelex

Relations, Alignment, and War

Post by jtelex »

I decided to do some PR's to raise my alignment. My race is currently at war with every other race; so I assumed I could raise my alignment by PR'ing ports owned by any race but my own.

I attacked an Alskant port. We are at war with that race and have relations set to -450.

I attacked two Human ports. We are at war with that race and have relations set to -410.

To my surprise, my alignment apparently dropped after these PR's. Someone mentioned that I had accidentally clicked on "Trade" during one of these raids and he was right; how did I click on "Trade" if I was at war with the race?

After looking around a bit, I realized that the ability to trade is not dictated by our race's relations with the port owners, but their race's relations to me.

Alskant's relation to my race is -410 and Human's relation to my race is -160. From what I can piece together, the Alskant PR must have raised my alignment, but the two Human PR's must have lowered it (though negative, their relations are not less than -300).

Could someone please clarify how relations are used? Also, does WAR mean anything other than a shift in alignment? Or is it an indicator of our relations to some race; WAR or PEACE depending on waterlevels?

The biggest problem I haven't unraveled: there is no incentive to have PEACE with anyone other than politicking. If I get WAR with every other race, they will have no access to our ports or to our weapons. At the same time, we might be able to trade at other race's ports and buy their weapons. While this might be effected by councils bargaining and trading access; there is no incentive for me to want peace with anyone.

If there is a link that already goes over all of this, please let me know. Also, I've made some assumptions, so please clarify them if they are wrong.

Thanks,
jtelex
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

well, if you were at war with those races, you alignment should have increased. if it didnt like you say we possibly have a bug.

Alignment works like this. or should...
War votes set relations to -300
Peace votes set relations to 300
If relations are above 300 a peace vote will actually degrade relations.
If relations are below -300 a war vote will improve relations.
Council member votes effect relations by -10 or 10.
The president is the trader with the highest xp, who has an alignment of 100+.

If you kill someone who is MORE evil than you (less good), you alignment improves. If you kill someone who is LESS evil than you (more good) your alignment drops. War kills increase your alignment, and killing your own race reduces your alignment.
If you raid a port owned by a race your at war with, you alignment will increase, if you are at peace with the port you attack your alignment will drop.

more on alignment at Http://www.realmoflotus.vze.com under the help files.

other than that i dont know what to tell you, it could possibly have been a bug in the game. something we should look into in beta.
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
Mar
Quiet One

Post by Mar »

President need over 150 algn I think.
=)

It takes one to be one!
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

doh!
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC