upgrading ports in Awakening

This is a place for Newbies to get help on anything they're not sure about. Don't be afraid to ask!
Vladdy
Quiet One

Post by Vladdy »

to upgrade to a next level costs 10m, so if you want to upgrade a level 1 to a level 9 it would cost 8 * 10 = 80m...

EDIT:
READ! it would COST you 80m.. i never said ANYTHING about GETTING 80m....

EDIT²: woopsy meant to quote..
Last edited by Vladdy on Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Merchants Guide to the Universe
http://mgu.smrealms.de

Retired!!!
Alucard
Beta Tester

Post by Alucard »

I believe the 80 m would be in Traded Goods though, as in bought...I don't believe you can dump 80 mil on a port and boom it's lvl 9...though I could be mistaken :?
Max Power
Quiet One

Post by Max Power »

mike is right, the way i uderstand it is this.

for each level upgrade 10 mil of goods must be bought at the port, with the max amount being put in at a time is 1000 credits per good. so in an IST you would hafta buy goods 300k at a time until you had put in 10 mil.once port has upgraded a level, just repeat the process.
Who is this guy??
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

/me fires up beta and goes to find out for sure
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

Ok, so using a PSF in beta I traded food, paying $600,000 per trade, then dumping the cargo and buying again.

I started at a level 1 port, and it took 17 trades to get the port to upgrade to level 2.

At level 2, continuing the same pattern it also took 17 turns, which means it is $10M/level no matter the level of the port.

Since it was the same 17 trades (equallying 10.2M) I didnt bother going any further.

I dont know if that extra $200k is banked up for the next upgrade or not, but since its a rather minor issue I dont think its worth looking into.

Interesting side points:

Upgrading a port in the method outlined here would take 10200 goods, or almost 2 full port loads of a level 1 good.

Upgrading in this fashion will also raise your personal relations 170 points per level.

I was also able to upgrade it a level in 34 turns, not counting travel, so other than the monetary cost, upgrading a port is a rather cheap way to change route dynamics.
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

smeghead

Post by smeghead »

brilliant.

Thanks for the hard work.
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

*shrugs* I was bored, very very bored

Detania

Post by Detania »

I dont think you can upgrade ports in the real game.... Only in beta.. I say this because in a few games including this one I trade 1 route the whole game, and it never..... ever.... ever gains a level... So id say that port upgrading is an Beta legend.... Show me a Port in real game that you can upgrade and ill believe you.. But as trading 1 port this whole game, I know i spent more and traded more then what it calls for to upgrade and it never goes anywhere... I even did a lvl 1 port route last game and it didnt even make it to lvl 2 the whole game.....
.... and im all out of bubblegum..........
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

not sure if this is too late or not but heres your responce from an admin (sorry I usually don't read this part of the forum :))

You are right with everything you said in your first post

10 mil to upgrade lvl 4 to lvl 5
10 mil to upgrade lvl 8 to lvl 9
Men are born to succeed, not fail.
-Henry David Thoreau
Target
Quiet One

Post by Target »

you can upgrade ports in the real game. the formula azool just gave is the real one. you just need to buy 10mil worth of goods.
Current Member of: Faded Image
Former Member of: Crimson and Clover, Rebels, Reborn Again, Mind Hunters, Legacy of the Phoenix, Dogs of War, Death Control, Faded Image, Armada, Small Ping Bastards, Celestrial Mauraders