upgrading ports in Awakening

This is a place for Newbies to get help on anything they're not sure about. Don't be afraid to ask!
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

And thats the trick most people dont realize, to upgrade a port you will loose money, the port needs to be making that 10M profit, so its 10M worth of goods that you are buying from the port, and I'd hazard to say that if you are trading one route for the whole game you are probably not paying more than 30 000 for a cargo load (if that)
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

OmegaRenegade wrote:And thats the trick most people dont realize, to upgrade a port you will loose money, the port needs to be making that 10M profit, so its 10M worth of goods that you are buying from the port, and I'd hazard to say that if you are trading one route for the whole game you are probably not paying more than 30 000 for a cargo load (if that)
don't post when you have no idea what you are talking about. The port needs to sell 10M of goods, irrespective of what it buys - profit has nothing to do with it.
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

Wrong. If you read the rest of this topic you'd see very clearly that you can actually buy goods for more than they are worth to speed up the upgrade, its based on the cash they get in, not the amount of goods they sell.

Also why dont you read something correctly before attacking someone? If you pull your oversized head out of your ass and go back and re-read what I said you'll notice that I was saying its not related to how much profit the trader makes, but how much the port sells its goods for, I also didnt say anything at all about what the port buys.
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

so, what exactly did you mean when you wrote "the port needs to be making that 10M profit"? Profit is cash out (buys) subtracted from cash in (sells), which is not what determines upgrades. Upgrades are determined by cash in irrespective of cash out.

Now, why don't you stop being an obnoxious, ignorant punk newbie and go learn the game mechanics before opening your big trap and making even more of a fool of yourself.
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

I never even mentioned cash out, not once, and by profit I meant money the port takes in, as in not in any way related to what the port will pay out.

I find it amusing that you find this such a hard concept to grasp, maybe you are just to stubborn to say "opps I read it wrong, sorry I was cranky when I wrote that" instead you resort to name calling, and not just any name calling, but the childish and unintellegent kind, too bad you couldnt think of something better than resorting to "ignorant newbie" Not only is it quite amusing to see someone who has been playing as long as I have been, called a newbie. Now maybe if you can think of something at least somewhat intellegent to say I'll stop being obnoxious, until then, go take some valium and relax, you dont need to attack people to make yourself look better, cause it really doesnt work, especcially when you use likes like "obnoxious, ignorant punk newbie" which is the kind of insulting banter I'd expect from a 13yr old

Rosebud
Quiet One

Post by Rosebud »

profit would imply: Cost bought at - real value... this isn't the case, sorry OR, but you are wrong on that much.
B.O.B. - Rosebud is one of craziest cool drunks I know.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

OR, you are either wrong about the game mechanics, or you don't understand what the word "profit" means. Either way, you are wrong.
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

my use of the word profit was to contrast the money being made by the player vs the money made by the port, and profit does not always need to mean the strict definition you use, it can also be used to denote income as illustrated by these direct quotes from Websters Dictionary:

prof·it ( P ) (prft)
n.
An advantageous gain or return; benefit.
Income received from investments or property
To be beneficial to.

Now granted it also includes definitions like:

The amount received for a commodity or service in excess of the original cost

But as shown, there is a looser definition for the word, which is the way I intended its use, not the more rigid definition that you seem to adhere to, I'm sorry if this caused you any confusion, I'll try and use less complicated words in the future.

Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

for goodness sake OR, you just don't know when to stop digging that hole do you? Everyone except you knows perfectly well what is meant by profit in the context of trading (yes, trading - not company shares or property investment), and you used it in the wrong context.

Let's say I buy a car for $1000 and sell it for $3000 - according to you, my profit would be $3000, whereas the rest of us know that my profit is actually $2000.
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

even with direct dictonary quotes you still argue it, very stubborn