Newbie leaders abusing their position

This is a place for Newbies to get help on anything they're not sure about. Don't be afraid to ask!
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

The problem is that there are so many ways to abuse this position that I personally would have liked stricter rules. What about scouting? What about putting cash in the AA then letting someone in to collect it? What about draining certain people's trade routes? IMO it would have been a whole lot simpler to simply say these accounts do not play, they just sit and advise.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

If there are THAT many problems of abuse with this, then it's a bad idea and should be stopped. I don't think that's the case, the admins are still in control, and there is nothing wrong here.

There have been numerous alternative ways to train new players suggested on this board. I've said before that the current system of newb training is ineffective because it is.

To sit and advise is a poor way to train, and is no better than a Newbie Help forum that people can read and we already have that.
that which pods you makes you stronger
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

I don't think that is true, I think it is valuable to have an alliance leader there as a specific person who can be approached and trusted. The newbie alliance leader position also allows us to directly approach the newbies through alliance and personal messages. Unfortunately, my experience is that none of them make use of me, and I can't force them to come to me for advice or training.
MrSpock
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by MrSpock »

ardberg is right. there are many ways around our monitoring. we only keep an eye on the accounts itself, not anyone who joins or leaves the alliance.

are these accounts worth the trouble? do they actually help anyone?
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your trader will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the creator of SMR.
drake
Quiet One

Post by drake »

hmmm ok i'm gonna make a few assumptions here so correct me if i'm wrong... the newbie leaders are leaders of the racial newbie alliances that everyone is put in their first game correct? so you get 30 newbs who just signed up, of which maybe what, 3 log on and play with any consistancey, and when they do mostly they just trade, not talking to anyone really, or they go shoot a port, die, quit... orrrrr they go exploring, leave racial, die, quit. I really don't see a problem with the multi accounts for newbie alliances, i'm sorry but if you want these ppl to continue to play they need an alliance who will protect them trading, bust a port/planet, have a chat room.... so instead of giving 7 ppl multis to run newb alliances why not just give 2 or 3? and let them run legit alliances with noobs from every race?... ok i'm gonna get a litte long winded here i think so bear with me, i've been up for 36 hours, my spelling is horrible even awake, and one train of thought is hard to do....
so you give these 2-3 ppl a legit alliance, which they may only take a newb-beginer ranked player into... once in the alliance they may stay the entire game no matter what rank they acheive, or they may leave for another legit alliance in which case the smr community should be CONGRAGULATING them for 1. enjoying the game enough to work at it, and 2. working at it enough to want to make a difference in game by being in an alliance capable of doing that.
alright so now we're up and running with these alliance, but who should run them. Well a few things have to happen, most importantly being picking the ppl to run them. They have to have much stricter standards than they currently do for being an admin, no that's not directed at anyone, but if you break a rule, any rule, you can not be a newb leader, period.
so you have your leaders, you have your alliance, now you have to get ppl in the alliance. Put it out there guys, you have the means, i've seen the messages you get your first time from the admins, but it has to be more. Make the alliances the best known in the game, make the messages where "if you would like to learn more about game play and working with other ppl why not try one of these alliances..." everyone of the 200 (guessing) newbs that join a game get this, and if we can make 2 solid alliances, 20+ ppl per game i see that as a good growth.
But now the alliances have to actually do something, so why not have all the alliances in the game contribute? let them pr any racial port if they can get the ppl to do so, but restrict pring in nuetrals so there is no question if they're trying to help/hurt another alliance. I know rein had 10 planets we would've been more than happy to let them pb, so why not have every alliance in the game put something on the board for them? It wouldn't take much, if every one of the top 4 alliance offered 2 planets in the last month and a half of the game they would have plenty to do, and no one could accuse them of trying to hurt/help anyone inparticular since the newb leaders would have to have this all prearranged, and publicly... well public enough that the alliance getting hit, the newb alliance, and the admins knew about it.
LOL god i blab when i'm tired, so no one will read it all anyways, just a few ideas, take them for what they're worth :)
Grey
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Grey »

I agree with drake. I even had a post very similar to this in the community board but it never got much attention.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

Yep, agree completely with Drake. This was one of the better alternate suggestions I refered to above.
that which pods you makes you stronger
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

I think thats a good idea also but there are a few problems. If you let this newbie alliance come in to PB one of your planets you would also have to let them clear out your mine field. And in the last month or so in the game I don't think that will go over very good. But it is still a very good idea, how about they give this newbie alliance a newbie planet galaxy. This way they can learn to trade, planet build, mine, and defend. Since everyone will know that this is a planet newbie galaxy the other alliance could tell them the day and time that they will attack. But they would have to ask the newbie leader if it was ok and if he said no attack then it would be no attack. If the newbie leader could get enough of the newbie into a chat room at that time and day then they could try a fleet battle or something. I think that if new players got a taste of everything the game has to offer you would keep more of them.
drake
Quiet One

Post by drake »

well the letting them pb is based on the gal layouts or 2 planet gals per nuetral gal, there are planet gals that don't get mined and maintained, but do get planets built.
Kuwl
Beta Tester

Post by Kuwl »

i didn't read any of this thread, or very little, but the only way to teach people is to lead by example. If you are a leader, at 0 exp, you will essentially look like nothing. Your "credibility" is not there. I would rather see this person(s) trade and interact with their crew than do nothing. I think drake hit it somewhat that we need 2-3 people to do all alliances. Maybe drake said it, id idn't read it, but:

-Just have 1 alliance, 3 leaders can handle 1 alliance full of newbies. You might argue that there is too much power (they could essentially bring 100 people to a PB if they wanted). If you think that, you are dilusional. Only 5-10, maybe 20 newbies play a game.