Race weapons

This is a place for Newbies to get help on anything they're not sure about. Don't be afraid to ask!
SteveG
Quiet One

Race weapons

Post by SteveG »

It seems an obvious question but, are there advantages for using your own races weapons? Or is that to be implemented?
Steve G aka ChocolateMnM

Dread Pirate Roberts
Quiet One

Post by Dread Pirate Roberts »

not really an advantage, but if your race is at war with another race, you wont be able to use weapons of the race you are at war with.
If you can't beat em, ban em!
Trib
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Trib »

Yup, and this will be working next game, so you might not be able to get those full weapon configurations you like so easily
SteveG
Quiet One

Post by SteveG »

Do you mean that your only be able to buy your own races/neutral weapons? Or just a restriction as mentioned by Dread Pirate Roberts??
Steve G aka ChocolateMnM

Cowboy
Beta Tester

Post by Cowboy »

you will always be able to buy you're own races weapons and also neutral weapons but with alignment and racial realtions being added next game IF you're race is at war with say Creonti you will NOT be able to buy CBD's until the war is over. Also when alignment is added if you have a negative alignment you will not be able to buy a HHG same goes for a player with a positive alignment will not be able to buy a nuke.
Suni

Post by Suni »

Is the alignment limit for HHG/Nuke at sharp zero? Because I think it might be better (not sure how it was in original, but anyway) that you could only buy HHG at above 100 (or 150, or 300, or something) and nuke at under -100 (or -150, or -300, or something), meaning that you'd have to be really good or evil, not just a tad good or evil, because with a zero border line you could easily move your alignment that few points and switch weapons if necessary.

As another thing, I recall that early in the original (meaning early 2000 for me :)), it used to say when you were deputizing that you can do it only once. I remember this limit didn't really exist (or it was removed), but I'm thinking, was it a bad one? Would mean that you'd have to consider even more how you plan to play, because once you made the decision to go good / bad by deputizing (gangizing), you couldn't easily go back anymore...

Suni.
Trib
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Trib »

I believe the boundary for the alignment weapons is +/- 150 (might be 100) It is definitely not 0.

Also deputisation is a one time only offer. You can only do it once, so you can't easily keep switching, it will take a lot of hard work to achieve.
JanGB

Can't *Use* or *Buy* when at war?

Post by JanGB »

Dread Pirate Roberts wrote:[...] if your race is at war with another race, you wont be able to use weapons of the race you are at war with.
When you say "use", do you really mean that, or did you mean to say buy?

Consider this scenario:
I'm Creonti, but have 2 Salvene weapons (plus a water pistol). Now, if Cre and Sal start a war, I can't buy eg. a Salvene Chain Laser, but what about the 2 Sal wpns I've already got --- am I suddently only "armed" with a water pistol, or do I have my full weapons array?

(Should post this in Suggestions:) Could be cool if, when you sell weapons, they are posted for resale at the weapon shop you're selling it at. It would certainly mean ppl wouldn't necessarily have to travel far to get what they want, but also that ppl could trade weapons with each other (with a fee to the wpn shop) which may not be desirable. Well ... I'll stop rambling now.
JanGB
SteveG
Quiet One

Post by SteveG »

(Should post this in Suggestions:) Could be cool if, when you sell weapons, they are posted for resale at the weapon shop you're selling it at. It would certainly mean ppl wouldn't necessarily have to travel far to get what they want, but also that ppl could trade weapons with each other (with a fee to the wpn shop) which may not be desirable. Well ... I'll stop rambling now.
That sounds like a cool idea to me :) After all, you can sell any weapon at any weapon shop :)
Steve G aka ChocolateMnM

Trib
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Trib »

JanGB, you are of course able to retain use of any weapons on your ship even if your races go to war, however the weapons dealers will no longer sell you any further weapons of that race until such a time as peace has broken out again.

As for resale of weapons, what happens is the ship dealer will buy anf gun of you (for lower than its original value) they then sell it back to the original shop with a mark up, who then sell you the exact same weapon next time you turn up at full price again. Its a nasty practice, but great way for them to make money! :wink: