What is the BEST way to gain experience?

This is a place for Newbies to get help on anything they're not sure about. Don't be afraid to ask!
Waster

What is the BEST way to gain experience?

Post by Waster »

subject says it all.
you WILL fear me. you probably don't yet. you might not fear me tommorrow. but you WIll! >:)
Grey
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Grey »

How familiar are you with the mechanics of trading? Do you know why and when you get specific amounts of experience? I'm just curious how much detail you'll need in an answer to your question.
Thennian
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Thennian »

planet goods trading like some alliance's have done :P (well honestly its the best way for u to get exp :P)
Waster

Post by Waster »

i know HOW to get experience; but how do you maximize it. trading for example, how do you get the most for your route?
you WILL fear me. you probably don't yet. you might not fear me tommorrow. but you WIll! >:)
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

get 1000 relations and trade a perfect route.

for example, 3x3x3x3x 3 sector sell, 3 sectors away for all goods on both ports.
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

Taking a chance of being too simple here, but some basic info to hopefully clarify:

Relations:
You start with 500 relations points for your own race. As you trade at a port, you bargain and don't take their intial offer. Successful bargains make your relations with that race increase. There are calculations you can do when you have less than 1000 relations that will maximize your cash/experience, but basically go with 10-14% above/below the offered price. Once you reach 1000 relations points, though, you no longer need to bargain and can take the offer they make and get maximum cash and exp automatically.

Finding a good route:
Many people use the MGU or SMC programs to find the most profitable routes, but you can also just look at the galaxy map and find them. The idea is that the further away a port is that buys/sells the goods, the better the payout. If a port sells computers and in the very next sector a port buys computers, that makes for the least profitable trading place because suppy is so close to demand. On the other hand, a port buying computers that is 12 sectors from the nearest port that sells them would pay ALOT more. The 3 sector distance that Lotus mentioned above is optimal for a formula based on the number of turns it takes to trade, but in general a route less than 8 sectors apart end-to-end that meets the supply/demand conditions is fine.
that which pods you makes you stronger
Waster

Post by Waster »

so my 8x4 route isn't as efficient as i thought it was. :oops: thank you!
Grey
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Grey »

Well the ideally best way to gain exp may bot be the best de facto way. There are other things to consider. IMHO it's better to find a quiet route where you don't get bothered by hunters or low stock than taking the uber route in your galaxy but can only trade 2-3 trades before you run out or someone comes to visit.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

Agreeing with Grey. Safety is often more important than the profit or experience you gain. After all, you can make a bundle on a primo route only to have to replace your trade ship every few days.

My rule of thumb is to try to make around 3-5 million and/or 2-4k exp with the 220 turns I get each day in an IST. The 8x4 route you mention Waster could be fine for that.
that which pods you makes you stronger
Vober
Beta Tester

Post by Vober »

Yeah, I try and get a decent route (1.10 or better thats 3x3x3x2x or better) that has max s/d everytime I want to trade and almost no scout drones all the time.

Having to change routes eats up to many turns if you try and trade the top routes only...