Google Adwords

Committee discussions relating to the development and advertising of SMR. Committee is comprised of both players and Admins.

Moderator: Holti

N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Google Adwords

Post by N.ator »

We should create an account for Google Adwords. For people who dont know what that is, its the form of advertisment that is shown on the side and top of search results, and anywhere someone enables adsense for their website.

You can do a prepayed amount. Basically its 25 cents for every 1000 impressions, and as little as .01 cent to 10 cents per click.

We can prepay like $10 and just see where that goes.

http://www.google.com/adwords
ImageImage
Page
SMR Coder

Re: Google Adwords

Post by Page »

With adwords is it possible to just pay per click? (I don't think impressions are really that useful for us - they're more for big brands who just want to get into people's minds so they come to mind when the person thinks of whatever they're selling)

Beyond that, what text should we write to advertise the game, and is it possible to get a group of people committed to pouncing on newbies as they join so we can try to keep them?
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Page wrote:With adwords is it possible to just pay per click? (I don't think impressions are really that useful for us - they're more for big brands who just want to get into people's minds so they come to mind when the person thinks of whatever they're selling)

Beyond that, what text should we write to advertise the game, and is it possible to get a group of people committed to pouncing on newbies as they join so we can try to keep them?

Agreed better to have it per click then impression, impression is a waste of $ for us.

As for the newbie side if things, Page we need to step up the in game tutorial design/coding/testing/implementation to make this worth while. Jumping on newbies is fine and dandy but they need some place to start if no one see's them or no one is online.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Even with an in-game tutorial it's likely to be more effective if people grab them and pull them into alliances - the in-game tutorial would mainly facilitate them sticking around just long enough for that :P
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Exactly :)

Should try to recruit some ppl to give you some ideas from a coding perspective.

With the NPCs working now, you can simulate more interaction before releasing newbies to the world.
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

Even with an in-game tutorial it's likely to be more effective if people grab them and pull them into alliances
From my experience the last three rounds, Page is correct. We had a lot more success keeping newbies around if we could pull them into chat and just talk with them about the game and other things. They feel more welcome, they learn a bit of the game by asking questions and getting answers without delay.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

While I agree that is a great method, there isnt someone online 24x7 that is going to do that.

We need a combination of things to introduce them to the game and keep them here.

Page, any chance you can pull statistics from the last 6months-year about ppl who create accounts join a game then never login again? or something to that effect?

Or maybe break that down...

Create an account

Create an account and join a game

Create an account and join a game + no movement

Create an account and join a game + movement

Create an account, join, move, never come back

give us an idea were the major break down is occurring.
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

I agree on click count adsense.

If we see an influx of newbies we definitely need newbie games. This would solve most of that problem. Then we just get trusted vets to lead a few newbie alliances, or even join some and train that way. I see no issue with that. And they need real games, just like the vet maps, or it's pointless. They need to learn to hunt and trade on their own with guidance imo.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Jester- wrote:I agree on click count adsense.

If we see an influx of newbies we definitely need newbie games. This would solve most of that problem. Then we just get trusted vets to lead a few newbie alliances, or even join some and train that way. I see no issue with that. And they need real games, just like the vet maps, or it's pointless. They need to learn to hunt and trade on their own with guidance imo.
Thats were NPCs + walking tutorial would come in handy...
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

Yeah having NPCs and an ingame interactive guide would be just as good.