Google Adwords

Committee discussions relating to the development and advertising of SMR. Committee is comprised of both players and Admins.

Moderator: Holti

RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: Google Adwords

Post by RCK »

Other then that. Freon I love the new look.

Looks clean, new and more modern. I would like if the panel slid out faster, but other then it looks good
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

The speed of opening and closing the panel is easy to adjust. You know why I have it at the speed it is at? I had put sound to it. Have you heard the sound the siding doors on startrek made? I used that sound but dropped it out for the test, besides adding sound to the game maybe going to far. lol
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

I dont usually play with the with my speakers on so wouldnt notice, but defiantly cool.

Now help me convert Page to abandoning the 7% that use IE 6-8.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Freon22 wrote:But the transparency will not work in IE 6 and 7. Also the rounded corners may not work being the panels are not fixed. I just don't understand the need to make it down to IE6 when anyone can download Firefox or Chrome even if they are run windows xp. Which I like XP better then the newer systems, still out on if I like windows 7 yet. I run 7 at home and XP at the office.
Assuming they are actually able to install their own choice of web browser.. Also so what if the rounded corners don't work, make them work with IE6 workaround for them where possible and elsewhere leave them be (heck, it's not end of the world to leave them be everywhere). For the transparency I personally dislike it (it makes it harder to read the links for me), but regardless of that it has apparently been available in IE since IE4 using the alpha filter - so it will work in them no problem.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

We're not talking about people that are still living with there parents (for the most part). An any company that is running IE6... send them my way, i have a great "I told you so" sign to sell them :P
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Well I think adding sound would have problems but I was able to do it during my test. I had made a list of ideas that I wanted this layout to do. One of them was to change the background depending on the sector. Like in the test page you see a star background but I what I want to do is if you move into a sector with a planet the background would be a planet, different planets for different planet sectors. When you entered a sector with a trading port the background would be a space station of some type. Anyway that is why transparency is so important.
Page wrote:Assuming they are actually able to install their own choice of web browser.. Also so what if the rounded corners don't work, make them work with IE6 workaround for them where possible and elsewhere leave them be (heck, it's not end of the world to leave them be everywhere).
Well it would look like shi t lol I should say pop. Square corners looks in some cases but on a control panel rounded corners just looks much cooler.

I will start running some test in IE6 to see how this will work and look. If the rounded corners and the transparency works then we can move forward with this if you guys and Page wants.
Last edited by Freon22 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

All those ideas sound awesome.

And dont worry about IE6, its not even supported by MS any more, why bother to continue to support it for SMR ;)
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

I agree with RCK and Freon. Lets get these cool backgrounds in! Page if they cannot download and install a new browser, what makes you think games are not block at said locations?

Anyways this is silly, how much of the player base is really going to be ousted by this?
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Jester- wrote:I agree with RCK and Freon. Lets get these cool backgrounds in! Page if they cannot download and install a new browser, what makes you think games are not block at said locations?

Anyways this is silly, how much of the player base is really going to be ousted by this?
Well under 5%, people will come to chat and ask and then be told hey stop living in 2004.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

So far none of the ideas brought up cannot work in IE6 and if they couldn't what is so bad about fallbacks? I just want the game to remain playable in IE6, is that really too much to ask?