Google Adwords

Committee discussions relating to the development and advertising of SMR. Committee is comprised of both players and Admins.

Moderator: Holti

N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: Google Adwords

Post by N.ator »

i tried to do some research and its exactly unclear if we would get charged for impressions or not.. but for clicks it is.

but what we can easily do is create an account with a desinated $5 in it, and just see where that take sus! if ou think about it if 1 click is 5 cents its 100 visitors!..

From an advertising point of view, we need to make the home page more sexy! if we had furon maybe play around with the layout and css, becaus ei know hes good at it, i think it might help for the first time viewer to log in!

Also, we need a chat button from the smrealms.de
ImageImage
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

N.ator wrote:i tried to do some research and its exactly unclear if we would get charged for impressions or not.. but for clicks it is.

but what we can easily do is create an account with a desinated $5 in it, and just see where that take sus! if ou think about it if 1 click is 5 cents its 100 visitors!..

From an advertising point of view, we need to make the home page more sexy! if we had furon maybe play around with the layout and css, becaus ei know hes good at it, i think it might help for the first time viewer to log in!

Also, we need a chat button from the smrealms.de
If you want to be committee chairman you need to spell check and such before you post :) Btw it's Freon, which I mentioned in another game design thread. Also we'll need approval and Spock's coordination to do anything with donation money (unless you're talking about personal funds).
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

btw, Blade 'donated' the use of smrealms.com which would probably be better to use for advertising purposes, most ppl dont trust TLD they dont know.
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

yeah we would need spock to set up the adwords account as for he is the one with the money.
RCK wrote:btw, Blade 'donated' the use of smrealms.com which would probably be better to use for advertising purposes, most ppl dont trust TLD they dont know.
ahh i see, its a forward to smrealms.de ?
ImageImage
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

N.ator wrote:yeah we would need spock to set up the adwords account as for he is the one with the money.
RCK wrote:btw, Blade 'donated' the use of smrealms.com which would probably be better to use for advertising purposes, most ppl dont trust TLD they dont know.
ahh i see, its a forward to smrealms.de ?
Yes.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Thanks N.ator, even if you did misspell my name. lol

Before SMR can remake much anything with the login and game pages. MrSpock and Page has to decide to move to css3, this mean that the pages are coded for browsers like Firefox, Chrome, IE9, .....

When I was creating the Freon22 layout Page told me that it had to be able to work on IE6 and IE7. With Pages help we were able to do it but something could not be added because of this. I think the Freon22 layout could have been much better if we could have just made it CSS3. The way I look at it is Chrome, Firefox, and for that matter all browsers are free and can be downloaded by anyone. If you want to play a FREE game and it will not work in your OLD IE6, 7, or 8 then just go and download a browser that it will work on.

Those cool online browser based games are for the most part are coded to run on up to date browsers. About 6, 8 months ago I had an idea of reworking the Current Sector page. I wanted to set the ships that were in sector in two columns side be side, the left side for Friendly ships and the right side for Enemy ships. But to do this I need the center area to have a larger width. So I took the left link column and made it a sliding panel, when you placed your mouse over it the panel would slide open. It had a transparency so while it was open you could still see what was under it, when you moved your mouse away it would close. With this sliding panel it would give the center area enough width to made the Friendly and Enemy ship columns.

I showed a test page that I coded to Page, while I think he liked it he thought that the right panel should be the one that slides. I think it should be the left panel because that panel only has links in it while the left panel has ship info in it. I ended up dropping the project not because of Page but it was not going to work on IE6, 7, and I think 8. Anyway if you want cool thing in the game then the game is going to have to be coded for up to date browsers.

If you want to look at the test page I created here is a link, just keep in mind that it is a incomplete test page only to show how the panel sides open and close.
http://video.smrealms.de/leftPanel.htm
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

It has to work in IE6-8 yes, I don't think I ever said it had to look perfect in them though. On a side note at the point you were designing that layout it was whilst IE8 was still the latest I'm fairly sure (and IE8 has a lot of the same problems as IE6, IE9 is where it actually gets up to scratch) and other browsers of the time also still did not support all that much of CSS3 (heck, it's not fully supported even now). But the main thing is that it must still work in IE6 even if it is by a not so nice fallback (I think the weapons panel might use a fallback option, at the very least for if JS isn't supported).

Also for the sliding panel of links it seems (to me at least) really unintuitive, and I know there are many people out there who would also find it to be that way (and extremely annoying when trying to quickly navigate between CS/LM/etc).

Just checked the page again and you use JQuery for the sliding panel - JQuery actively support IE6 so it would work there anyway?
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

But the transparency will not work in IE 6 and 7. Also the rounded corners may not work being the panels are not fixed. I just don't understand the need to make it down to IE6 when anyone can download Firefox or Chrome even if they are run windows xp. Which I like XP better then the newer systems, still out on if I like windows 7 yet. I run 7 at home and XP at the office.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Page wrote:(and extremely annoying when trying to quickly navigate between CS/LM/etc).
That part is a easy fix just add a Current Sector link in the top panel before the Plot A Course link.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

I see no reason to support IE 6...

If you still use IE 6 you shouldn't be on the internet :)

Either way, I say if the latest versions of IE, FF, Chrome and opera support it, we use it.

All of which from what I have read can utilize css3. Also should look into exploiting html5 to the utmost.

There is no reason to continue to support older browsers.