Fleet Battles

Have a feature you want to see added to SMR? Create a topic here, once approved it can be discussed and then moved to vote. You can also submit new features via the "Request a Feature" link ingame.

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Fleet Battles

Post by XDemonX »

This is to request that the combat system be changed back to no limit vs other players.

Right now only 2 ships can fire at a maximum 2 other ships at a time in a combat, one being the attack, one being the defending and two random allies from the attacker/defender side.

Why is this a problem?
Fleet battles are totally different now. It is relying too much on speed now. For example. Me and another guy can safely fool around with another fleet of 10+ SAFELY because of the 2v2 maximum. In the old days I wouldn't even flirt with a fleet of 10+ because I know all it takes is one person to get a trigger on me and BOOM i am dead. Along with the trigger advantage a lesser fleet has the opportunity to beat a much bigger fleet. This has been proven in the current Triforce game.

What will this improve?
This will improve the enjoyment and balance of the game. Seeing fleet battle shots were so much fun especially since the current code has the total damage worded out as given:
This fleet hits for a total of 640 damage in this round of combat.
Key word there being "fleet" a fleet isn't two people. This balances the game as if a alliance can conjure up a fleet of 10+ people all at once they shouldn't be hindered that greatly by something as speed of shooting.
This is a beat, you just can't touch.....
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: Fleet Battles

Post by RCK »

I dont speak for the whole admin team when I say this, but I dont think we should return to the fleet fire, there has been more interaction in general because of the 2vs2 combat which is a positive thing..

I'm open to suggestions on improving it though.
Incognito
Quiet One

Post by Incognito »

Maybe raise the cap to a 3v3 or 4v4. It gives some of the advantage back to the larger fleets but still keeps the fleet battles on a smaller scale than before.
I+N+C+O+G+N+I+T+O=Not you

I took a calculated risk. Unfortunately, I am bad at math.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

I always thought the idea was to go away from having 1 player be able to trigger for 13 offline ships and introduce more skill into the game including who to target and coordinated firing?

Personally, I'd love to see the game go towards 1 ship firing without any return fire, meaning it's about speed and damage calculation to figure out when to run and when to hold your ground. Honestly, if it's 5v5 and you have 5 active, quality players, you should be able to take out 3 enemy ships with minimal to no casualties if the other side is not as good. Just my thoughts.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

I think it has further divided the skilled players from those that are not so skilled. Look at the kill stats since the change was made last game. For example I am 9-6 13-0 and 6-0 in the games since then. I am sure other skilled players can attest with numbers similar.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

JettJackson wrote:I think it has further divided the skilled players from those that are not so skilled. Look at the kill stats since the change was made last game. For example I am 9-6 13-0 and 6-0 in the games since then. I am sure other skilled players can attest with numbers similar.
Wasn't that the idea? Everyone else should work to increase their skill. I thought the whole purpose was to make this game more skill-based and reduce the amount that players can be carried...if many people feel this isn't the case, then we should switch it back.
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

Don't forget that another purpose, which Page emphasized, was to reduce gangbanging traders. A single trader doesn't have a hope in hell of surviving four people attacking him, and this was killing activity in gangbanging rounds. I agree that combat is still an issue (I even mentioned this on the admin forum), but disagree that going back to the old system would be the way to go. I suggest thinking of ideas that would accomplish both purposes - reducing gangbanging AND allowing fleet battles, which many players enjoy.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

jouldax wrote:
JettJackson wrote:I think it has further divided the skilled players from those that are not so skilled. Look at the kill stats since the change was made last game. For example I am 9-6 13-0 and 6-0 in the games since then. I am sure other skilled players can attest with numbers similar.
Wasn't that the idea? Everyone else should work to increase their skill. I thought the whole purpose was to make this game more skill-based and reduce the amount that players can be carried...if many people feel this isn't the case, then we should switch it back.
People get tired of dying over and over and only marginally advancing while the best of the best keep getting exponentially better. Widening the gap isn't a good idea for a game that is limited in players to begin with.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

Holti wrote:Don't forget that another purpose, which Page emphasized, was to reduce gangbanging traders. A single trader doesn't have a hope in hell of surviving four people attacking him, and this was killing activity in gangbanging rounds. I agree that combat is still an issue (I even mentioned this on the admin forum), but disagree that going back to the old system would be the way to go. I suggest thinking of ideas that would accomplish both purposes - reducing gangbanging AND allowing fleet battles, which many players enjoy.
Well, you'd have to alter the code to be something like if ships >= 6, all fire, if ships <=5, only 2 fire. The issue with this is that a small fleet of counter oppers would get trashed by a large fleet that would all fire back. I really like how people have been able to duck in and out and maybe even pick off a ship or two of a much larger fleet during ops due to the new combat system.