Combat changes proposal - for v2

Have a feature you want to see added to SMR? Create a topic here, once approved it can be discussed and then moved to vote. You can also submit new features via the "Request a Feature" link ingame.

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

Astax
SMR Coder

Combat changes proposal - for v2

Post by Astax »

Currently space battles are limited to 3v3 i believe. This is good, but could it be better? I think so.

My idea is to have this limit be not a static number, but more dynamic, base on the ship-class you are flying or targeting.

Ship class, wtf is that?

I'm glad you asked! We could add a ship class designation to ships (if one doesn't exist, I haven't checked yet). Each ship could be classified by a certain criteria. For now we can set it manually, but we could come up with a way to automatically classify ships in the future. Some classes I would propose to start off are the no-brainer trade-vessel, hunter, and warship. Other classes can be added later based on need.

So now we code combat to assign wing-men in combat based on target class and your class. Let me give you an example to illustrate it better, no numbers below are final.

For example a warship attacking a trade-vessel would get 0 wig-men. But attacking another warship he would get 2. Maybe one when attacking a hunter.

Hunters would get one wing-man on the offense vs trade vessel, possibly two when attacking a warship, one when attacking another hunter.

But the defending fleet would be also based on what ship is getting hit. Like a trade vessel would get wing-men bonus on defense of 3. Hunter would only get one, and warship 2.

So with this example, two hunters meeting 2 hunters in a sector would just have it out in a 2v2. If there was a fleet battle with warships on both sides, it would be 3v3, unless you brought in one hunter along, in which case it would be ideal to target the hunter first since he would only get 1 wing-man on the defense and he would be a lot squishier.

Attacking a lone trade vessel with a pair of hunters would be 2 vs 1, if you brought 3 hunters, only two would fire. Now if you tried to attack a trade vessel with a hunter and the trade vessel was in a convoy, it would be 2 vs up to 4 each time you trigger with the hunter on the convoy. If the convoy has a few warships.. that might not be a good idea, but if it's just four trade vessels, well then you will probably come out on top.

So let me know what you think.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: Combat changes proposal - for v2

Post by RCK »

I like it.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: Combat changes proposal - for v2

Post by jouldax »

Interesting concept - I'd have to give it some more thought. There is an art to "gangbanging" believe it or not, but this could be a neat way to mix it up and keep things balanced at the same time...ultimately, I think the answer is to change the ships more dramatically, but this could be a near-term change I'd consider.