Some random idea's

Have a feature you want to see added to SMR? Create a topic here, once approved it can be discussed and then moved to vote. You can also submit new features via the "Request a Feature" link ingame.

Moderators: JettJackson, Holti, jouldax

Aendar
Quiet One

Some random idea's

Post by Aendar »

So lately i was thinking of features that would really be cool to have and i have quite a few and as far as I know, i haven't seen these around. And I do know we don't have a coder available but that shouldn't stop us from thinking about new features. Who knows, maybe some are so easy to implement, it can be added soon. So here it goes:

Whats bothering me a bit about the choice of races, is that allthough we have a very nice and big list of ships, basically it doesnt really matter *that* much what race you choose imho. They are all fairly balanced and you got some nice neutral ships to cope with if you cant find a decent ship within your race. So i thought about adding a new choice to the game. At he start of the game, you get the opportunity to chose the races like they are now BUT also chose a personality. Obviously, i haven't thought about it *that* much but here are some examples to get once imagination started:
The Conman:
+10% money on every trade.
Once a conman, always a conman. He tricks the merchants in giving him better prices when he buys stuff and when he's selling the goods, his silk tongue makes the merchant overbuy his goods. Mostly leaving the merchants behind wondering what happened.

The Merchant:
+10% EXP on trades.
He knows how to trade and trading is his life. He doesn't care much about the profit, he just wnats to trade it all off. Every trade he makes, he learns more then others thus getting more experience

The Tactician
Gains 1 extra turn/h.
This guy plans ahead, and he plans it so well, its like he can move around the galaxy way more then others do! No matter what ship he's in, he's able to just squeeze out that little bit of extra turns/h

The veteran:
+5% more damage dealt
This war hero knows the ropes of combat. He got so many tricks up his sleeve, even Houdini isn't a match for this guy! When being in combat with this guy, you often wonder how in hells name he is able to land so much damage on you. Guess he knows how to handle the ropes.

The weasel:

10% more chance to deflect attacks upon hit
Well well, look at this guy. Always acting up though but when push comes to show, he sets a new speed record trying to flee away from battle. In fact, this guy has been running away so much, mostly after picking yet another fight, everytime you think you got a lock on him he narrowly escapes your firing weapons again.

The technician:
-5% damage when being attacked.
This guys is a genius. Even at the age of 2 he was already building his own little toys. By the age of 10 he made his first working ship. Exactly 5 minutes later Max the housedog died in a horrible shipaccident. So many years later, the technician manages to optimize a ship for battle. After lots of hard work, testing, losing his eyebrows and (so the gossip goes) one nipple, he found a way so the ship can absorb just a tad more damage when getting hit. No one knows how he does it and he takes pride in being the only one that can make this happen. Sorry guys, his tricks aren't up for sale.

The navigator:
Only looses 2 turns when hitting mines.
Born into a family with generation upon generation of starcaptains, this guy grew up amidst galaxy maps and compass. Some say he doesnt even need any navigating tools when flying his ship as he knows where to fly naturally. He has so much confidence in navigating any ship that even when he gets trapped into a minefield he's able to navigate through it faster then others do. Rember folks, don't try this at home!

The Stargazer
Can make a new temporary warp for 48h in exchange for 100 turns
Firstborn as part of a twin, the stargazer was always eager to and curious what lies behind the horizon. He always dreamt from far away galaxies. Gifted with a lot of enthusiasm and a fair share of intelligence, the stargazer was able to develop a method to create new warps. Though the warp is fully functional, it always comes at a high costs. As of today, the stargazer has not yet found a way to keep his warp stable enough for longer then 48h. And the shere effort it costs for him to make a warp, he gets so exhausted, he looses 100 turns.

The starblocker
Can block any warp for 48h in exchange for 100 turns
Born 5 minutes behind the hiw twinbrother, the stargazer, he always felt left behind in the shadows of his brother. As optimistic and enthusiastic his brother is, so pessimistic is the starblocker. All his life he has been trying to get into the spotlights and cast a shadow upon his brother. Finally when his borther achieved the power of the warps he came to an understanding to do the exact opposite blocking any warp for 48h. As it takes the same amount of effort, this too comes at an effort of 100 turns.

Okay guys, this is just a concept. I just randomly took some personalities that came into mind and added some random numbers to it. Adding this extra layer, I hope it makes picking a choice at the beginning of a game even more important. Maybe you will have to agree before the game starts who will take what personality and what use could you be to the alliance if you pick Race X and Personality Y. Off course, the personalities stay strictly confidential so no one knows what bonus you are getting =)

Besides that, i have been thinking of another feature. One I snicker upon everytime I imagine this feature enabled in game.
We all know ship logo's and frankly, not a lot of people use them. I dont know if they used to be more popular back in the days or not. Thing is, getting a logo seems so not worth putting in real life $$$. What I would REALLY like to do, is being able to put a logo onto someone else his ship for like 1 week. Off course the admins should keep an eye on it so we dont see 60 flying dicks in the galaxy but imagine xDemonx flying a sparkly pink ship. Or you just killed ACD (again) and add: PROPERTY OF AENDAR! Or THIS GUY LANDS ON PLANET #666.
Also, having way faster connections these days, make the logo sizes bigger pls, both in width/height as in kb size.