More News

New features that have been submitted via forum or in game that require more information, or further discussion.
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Re: More News

Post by Grey Death »

JettJackson wrote:
Read my above post, and I don't see why I have to justify myself on this issue, maybe you should give reasons why planet gal changes should be announced freely to everyone.

As stated by other players, port busting is already being announced. Using SMC and a list of what ports were busted any good Trade Leader for an alliance will be able to readily identify which ports are likely being upgraded for which possible goods by doing comparisons. So any secrecy you think you MIGHT have does not exist anyway.
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

It does not guarantee secrecy, but it's far more fun and role-playing and actual challenge in the game to analyze the news, then analyze the maps and come to a conclusion. Then clear all the forces to there to find out. Or get a FW if it's early in the game and try to find a backdoor thru an early and therefor very light minefield... It's one of the reasons why the description of the game says "... impossible to master". It is things like that what makes the difference. *shrugs*

Why hand everything on a plate?
Use The Force(s)!
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Ok, so whilst I'm all for the idea of more news, there are issues with some of the ones proposed at least.
Harry Krishna wrote:When planet ownership changes
9/16/2010 12:30:31 PM The planet In Your Face located in sector 1950 of the Tangeria galaxy was overrun by invaders and is now under control of the Adult Swim alliance.
This one could probably work, but there's already a news message if a team greater of 4-5 or more people attack a planet (and if there was a message for solo people taking over a planet I'm sure there could be some potential objections to that early on in a round)
Harry Krishna wrote:When alliances control all planets in a galaxy
9/16/2010 12:30:31 PM The Adult Swim alliance now controls all planets in the Tangeria galaxy.
I personally would just hold off on claiming all the planets in order to try and keep it secret what planet I was going for, so this would be fairly pointless most of the time (and if we did it for individual planets it'd mean a lot more potshots at planets when they're very early on and more chance of planet builders dying - not that I expect many bother to sit on a planet with current game speeds :P )
Harry Krishna wrote:When alliances no longer control of all planets in a galaxy
9/16/2010 12:30:31 PM The Adult Swim alliance has lost control of the Tangeria galaxy.
Again, would never have claimed all the planets so would never have lost control.

Edgecrusher wrote:"The port in sector 1416 has upgraded and now sells/buys good x"
Well issues have already been stated with this.
Edgecrusher wrote:"Alliance Adult Swim has a new towel boy/alliance leader"
It'd be easy enough to have a news message when the alliance leader changes, do people actually want this?
Edgecrusher wrote:"Alliance Adult Swim now has the first place in kills"
Again this can be done easily enough for both planets and players.

Are there any others people can think of that would work?
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

Edgecrusher wrote:
"Alliance Adult Swim now has the first place in kills"

Again this can be done easily enough for both planets and players.

Are there any others people can think of that would work?
I like this idea of placing alliance rankings like kills, profit, etc. in the news.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

I think a lot of this could be addressed if we ever implement some sort of points or ranking system, which is being discussed in another thread.

What I WOULD like to see is the idea of fake or deceptive news, like some way to broadcast misinformation to throw off other alliances/players.

For example: Port #666 is currently being raided by members of The Awesome Squad. In reality, it's a port in the same galaxy or The Awesome Squad is planning to fire on a planet instead, and trying to use subterfuge to draw out the opponent.
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

Jouldax, I rather like that. Realistic, too. Even with the internet and cell phones, major news networks still get their facts wrong! :)
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

In regards to the port upgrades... if you left out the goods that were increased/lost i dont think there would be an issue.... yes port 1234 upgraded, but you dont know with what, you still have to go check it out to get updated maps.