Hacking

New features that have been submitted via forum or in game that require more information, or further discussion.
SnakeBite
Newbie Spam Artist

Hacking

Post by SnakeBite »

This is a completely new element I would enjoy in the game. The main objective of this is to encourage some fleet combat. The main idea is as follows:

New location called Access Point.
New ship with a hacker.

Access point must be a far outlying location in an isolated galaxy thats a 2x5 or similiar (just something which is easy to trap someone in). A hacker must then be able to hack this location. Hacking would cost ALOT of turns (around 50) and takes a minute. A successful hack then drops a large amount of cash. I would say the equiv of trading 50 turns on a 15x route or so. The idea is just that it must be an option that is vastly more profitable then trading most routes.

The catch is that when hacking is initiated the access point broadcasts a cry for help globally. This means that going to hack a location without any protection would be stupid.

The idea is that if you managed to kill a hacker you are guaranteed a big loot but you will most likely have to fight for it.
seldum
Beta Tester

Re: Hacking

Post by seldum »

very fun sounding idea this deserves a BUMP
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Does sound unique....

Requires discussion
Incognito
Quiet One

Post by Incognito »

I like the idea. Here are a few ideas I have to expand upon this.

1. I like the high turn-usage requirement. Maybe have it cost 10 turns to initialize, then 1 turn every 2 secs during the hacking process, then another 10 turns to complete it and get the cash (turn amounts kinda arbitrary-just using these as an example). If the person hacking needs to move/cloak/etc during that time, they must restart the processes, spending another 10+ turns.

2. Hacking should not be possible while cloaked.

3. An alliance (or maybe the entire playerbase) should definitely be limited to a certain number of hacks a day (3-5? no idea, really. Something best found through trial and error, me thinks.)

4. Just like port raids, the hacker (and any alliancemates in that area) should accumulate a bounty during the act.

Torn on the galaxy layout for the access point. The gal itself should definitely have mostly locations present (ie bars; no banks) to prevent a big alliance from just keeping the thing mined 24/7. Maybe the access point itself could be mined though (input on this would be great).
I+N+C+O+G+N+I+T+O=Not you

I took a calculated risk. Unfortunately, I am bad at math.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

Why wouldn't banks make the most sense to hack? Or even fed HQs? More fun to hack locations (can't mine them) and has a real feel to it. Hacking a bank nets you some tiny % of the deposits made that day at that location, or something like that. Can only hack a bank once every 48 hours.
Incognito
Quiet One

Post by Incognito »

jouldax wrote:Why wouldn't banks make the most sense to hack? Or even fed HQs? More fun to hack locations (can't mine them) and has a real feel to it. Hacking a bank nets you some tiny % of the deposits made that day at that location, or something like that. Can only hack a bank once every 48 hours.
Personally, I'd rather see the team that is doing the hacking need to move somewhere away from the hacking point in order to deposit money. And I am no expert but I am pretty sure most people don't hack institutions on location, they do it from a different place.
I+N+C+O+G+N+I+T+O=Not you

I took a calculated risk. Unfortunately, I am bad at math.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

merge both ideas.

Have the hacking location, but allow you to select your target. Maybe have longer times/risk factors depending on how 'hard' the target is.
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

Given the small player base this idea really should only be launchable once per day whilesay 12-15 players are online.
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

I'd love to see some sort of fed or NPC response too - like depending on the potential score, the fed or the npcs send some sort of fleet to investigate. The hacking location should NOT be mineable, although the area around it can be. I guess that's more what I was getting at, bouncer.