NPC's What's the point?!

New features that have been submitted via forum or in game that require more information, or further discussion.
Dilbert
Quiet One

NPC's What's the point?!

Post by Dilbert »

Honestly can't see a reason for npc's other than to give hunters something to play with. All I can see is that I was doing very nicely in alskant galaxy running a pretty poor route but the best we have at 4x4x4x3 and all of a sudden we have 11 npc's join the galaxy of which 5 are alskant and now my ports are dry, now either the random generation of npc's is based on number of players and that's why we've got a larger share, or someone is having a laugh punishing me for picking alskant and growing quickly compared to other races as have ratm and drax. Either way at this point in the game I should not be struggling to trade because of npcs and before anyone says well we have to share routes coz we all pickedvsalvene tough YOU PICKED YOUR RACE AS DID I!

I shouldn't get punished for it. If you want to have more things to shoot then give everyone a slave npc who they can tell what they do so its an actual benefit to players or let everyone have multi accounts. This game is becoming more and more an appeasement to hunters with no regard for those who simply enjoy trading.
In order to stab someone in the back, you first must be 100% behind them!
Incognito
Quiet One

Re: NPC's What's the point?!

Post by Incognito »

Yes, they are there for hunter (or an ambitious trader) to shoot. More NPC's will join in the coming days, since we don't have 48 joining at once. Other races will suffer the same hardship as you.
I+N+C+O+G+N+I+T+O=Not you

I took a calculated risk. Unfortunately, I am bad at math.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Dilbert wrote:This game is becoming more and more an appeasement to hunters with no regard for those who simply enjoy trading.
No one enjoys trading just ask anyone. Sorry I am being a smart as s, yes for some unknown reason this game always swing to far one way or the other. I am going to say a dirty word. "Balance". Anyway those NPC's should have been coded only for hunters to shoot at not to drain ports. But it is a twisted balance where you help hunters to have fun shooting at something and at the same time hurt traders by draining ports???

So re-code them

1. They only show up in racial galaxies.
2. The NPC are the same race as the galaxy.
3. They show up to stop PR's in racial galaxy.
4. They show up to help defend GOOD traders when attacked in their racial galaxy.
5. There is a random chance that they will show up and attack an evil trader.
6. There is a random chance that they will show up and attack a hunter that is evil or is at war with their race.
7. They DO NOT drain ports.
8. They DO NOT attack GOOD trader or hunters of their race.

There is more then likely more rules that they should follow.
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

Who is going to recode them? At the present our coder is indisposed with important things and we are lucky he takes the time he does to fix bugs and such. There are a lot of things that need coding but no one to do it, thats just the way it is.
Astax
SMR Coder

Post by Astax »

Freon22's ideas are all pretty much on the money. I haven't looked that deep into the code so I am not sure how the npcs are coded, but i am guessing they are just static players who are not controlled by people, vs what freon proposes which is more of a dynamically generated npcs that respond to certain situations. NPCs would spawn for certain time, execute a certain script, then return to HQ and despawn.

There is a lot that can be done, like the response of the NPC bounty hunters is dependent on bounty, which would encourage people putting bounty on others. If a nasty hunter with a lot of bounty kills someone, there is a slew of FUs dispatched that jump in around him and start to shoot first, and not ask any questions. He could probably make it out alive,but if he took some damage from his victim, it might be a bit harder to do so :)

Response to a Port Raid could depend on the level of the port and also time, take too long attacking the port and a fleet of npcs arrives. There could even be a galactic news event stating that X Government is mobilizing a fleet to repel the attackers.

You can also have NPC convoys (I love those in Vendetta online), which you can join to guard or try to raid. Let's say these would only happen between race HQs of races that are at peace.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

I think this is on the docket, but we've got lots of important changes to be made ahead of this.